Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After Friday's 1.5 second escapade on the back of a bull for the LSU student rodeo, I decided to shoot a local match today. Woke up at 6 feeling like a train wreck, got up an hour later feeling about the same. Still, had a great time, probably placed last in production again, but the crowd is growing lately- 30 people shot the match. I ended up hitting three no-shoots trying to press for time and screwed the classifier. I haven't shot in a month, but now that school is winding down and I've got three weeks till finals I can probably get some range time in during the week. However, I was able to correct a shooting error that I had picked up at the last match and drop it like a rock. After three matches I have to say that I've really started to enjoy this sport.

One of my consistent problems is reacquiring my front sight. I attribute this in part to muzzle flip and lack of training with my XD, but I'll put in my DGR when it comes in Monday and do some empirical testing. Ideally, I'd like to have a nice production-class gun that I can still lug around the marsh with, so I'm looking into fiber optic sights to help with my acquisition. I've considered Dawson fronts with stock rears, anyone have any other suggestions for a possible setup?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Dawson fronts are nice, any narrow front; or rear sight with a wider notch will get you on the sight quicker.

Slow down and get your accuracy first:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I've been happy with my Williams Firesights, for a lot less than Dawsons. And the Powder River trigger kit really helped my score. Like ANeat said, accuracy first, you can always speed up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's hard for me to pick up the stock front sight, may just be the amount of muzzle flip and reorienting, I don't know. I like to have a fair bit of peripheral in the sight picture, helps me acquire that front sight. Whenever I find a local guy who can install the sights for me I'll look into the Dawson front or Williams. I'll probably put in the PRP kit in a month or so, don't want to rack up too many pistol expenses when duck season's about to be in full swing and finals are around the corner. Just out of curiosity, could I use a Warren rear with a Dawson front?

Any other advice for a rookie?

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you change your sights, change both of them.

The Dawson Perfect Impact fixed, wide notch rear (PN: 018-013) and the Dawson .100 X .205 fiber optic front (PN: 021-019) is the set up for my XD Tac 9mm.

Heinie Slant Pro rear and Dawson .100 X .170 FO front (PN: 021-013) is what is on my XD 9 service.

Both of these make sight aquisition much easier for me.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the only match I'm making regularly so far. Close to home, real good folks there, challenging stages. My sister's wedding is the day before the december match, but I"ll try to leave the reception early and make the match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts