Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
00 Buck penetrates deeply and can shred through building materials so I choose to load up with #4 buck (not #4 birdshot) for home defense and as a coyote load. If im carrying for anything bigger than that in the woods, I stoke it with 00 buck..

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
#4 birdshot to nock them down/scare them
#4 buckshot to probably kill them if they aren't obstructed
00 to kill through things
slug in case things get awkward like in a room with other people/behind cover shooting at me.

I keep a round of #4 buckshot ready to go, with 4 rounds of 00, first one of that is Hornandy TAP then hunting loads, speed feed holds 2 hunting loads 2 slugs.

I of course mantain cruiser ready.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
#4 birdshot to nock them down/scare them
#4 buckshot to probably kill them if they aren't obstructed
00 to kill through things
slug in case things get awkward like in a room with other people/behind cover shooting at me.

I keep a round of #4 buckshot ready to go, with 4 rounds of 00, first one of that is Hornandy TAP then hunting loads, speed feed holds 2 hunting loads 2 slugs.

I of course mantain cruiser ready.
Word of warning, slugs will penetrate solid brick walls. I have done it myself at my uncles old abandon farm house when we shot the fireplace chimney and we were amazed that the slugs went all the way through and blew a nasty size hole on the other side.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I saw someone take a 7-1/2 high power to the stomach and lets just say that he wasnt worried about going anywhere but on the ground.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Federal 00 Buck Low recoil should do just fine. It's going to have a rather tight shot pattern due to the shot cup being designed to minimize pattern spread.

I suggest going to the range (if they allow shotguns) and pattern it at various distances so you become familiar with the pattern and the feel of the round in your gun.

I also like the price. $0.65 per round.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
After reading the FBI firearm ballistics wounding paper, my views on defensive ammo have changed. Heavier and hitting harder along with DEEP penetration are the keys to stopping the bad guy. No sissy loads allowed. I would keep #4 buck for summertime at a minimum. I prefer 00buck alternated with a big ole slug, one after the other. Those who live in colder climates where a bad guy might be wearing heavy clothing should seriously consider nothing smaller than 00buck and no reduced recoil loads.
JMHO.
Handgun loads are all heavy. 147's for 9mm, 158's for 38/357, 230's for 45, and 180's and up for 10mm. All loaded HOT.
:cool:

cept I do have Corbon 165 grainer in a 44mag because at 1600fps outta a 6" barrel and I don't think much of any legged creature can handle that kind of wallup.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can verify slug penetration. Last fall there was a driveby down the street - 4 rounds of buckshot & 1 slug. The slug went completely through the house. It didn't hit any interior walls & left a pretty big exit hole out the back wall. Nobody was hit, BTW. The only buckshot that entered the house was through a window.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
True about the slugs, I've had one go through shoulder to shoulder perfect shot through a 250 lb hog. They go a ways hence why I don't plan on using them, but they are there if the world goes to hell (ie body armor)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Someone should do a test on what slugs WILL penetrate. I know the box-o-truth exists but I mean different materials. Ive hit deer and recovered bits and whole slugs and see others completely exit. They are the one projectile though that I would fear the most, thats a HUGE wieght being hurled at you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts