Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - picked up a Moss. 500 for my "zombie gun" and home-defense.... got plenty of target loads after a close out at Walmart!!! :D

However, what do you guys suggest for self-defense ammo? Just any-ole 00 buckshot? or??

I'm not thinking that specialized "self defense" 12ga will do any more damage than that 00 when shtf.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well, you do have the right idea, ANY SD/HD 12ga load starts w/ the words buckshot. WHile anything #4buck & larger works, you really neeed to pattern your SG w/ your chosen load. It is interesting how diff all the various loads will shoot in a given SG. Many like #1, but it patterns terribly in my 870. The various low recoil laods seem to hold a tighter pattern than full power loads. My fav for inside is #4 buckshot, expensive buffered loads pattern better than non buffered, but several brands still put all 27pellets on an 11x17 sheet of paper @ 12yds. Most loads from a cyl bore (riot bore) will do 1" per yard, so @ 15 steps, if they'll stay pretty much on that 11x17, I call it good to go. The buffered loads & low recoil will be about 30% tighter patterns @ any distance.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I like 000 buck.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I keep mine loaded with 00!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Federal LE133 or LE132 00 Buck. Amazingly tight and predictable patterns.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I use which ever Ranger or Federal tac low recoil ammo I have in stock when I need it at home.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
you really neeed to pattern your SG w/ your chosen load.

To add to my earlier short post. I recently upgraded to a higher capacity Maverick88 as my HD shotgun. The shotgun I used to use loved Remington 16 pellet #1 buck. New gun shoots the Winchester best so thats what I go with now. Just because I love the #1 buck load does not mean I will use it blindly in another gun. The Winchester OO buck just does the best in my current shotgun so thats what I use now.....

·
Registered
673 Posts
My house gun is full of a Federal Law-Enforcement #00 buck, 9-pellet load. I don't remember the load number (127?) but it patterns well, recoil isn't bad, and it was buffered #00 buck in high-brass hulls with flite control wads for under $0.50/round. I bought a flat of it. Hopefully you will be so lucky :D

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
+1

I keep my Winchester 1300 Defender loaded with LE132 00 Buck ...

HEY that can't be right. In the movies when they shoot a bad guy with a shotgun his he has a 2 foot circle of dots on his chest and the frames around the door he's standing next to blows up. That's why they don't have to aim when they have a shotgun.

·
Registered
17,756 Posts
3 1/2 00buck in my Remmy 887
Good luck with followup shots with that cannon! (you may get one badguy..but his buddies get you while you are picking yourself up off the floor!)

2 3/4 " 00 buck...PERIOD...anything less is worthless..

P.S. Rule of thumb...1" spread for every yard distance

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Good luck with followup shots with that cannon! (you may get one badguy..but his buddies get you while you are picking yourself up off the floor!)

2 3/4 " 00 buck...PERIOD...anything less is worthless..

P.S. Rule of thumb...1" spread for every yard distance
Well, I wouldn't say worthless. #4 buck in close is pretty devistating, why I like it inside a home. It doesn't penetrate walls as easily & at room distance of say 30ft, you get all 27 24cal pellets on target. I do like the recoil characteristics of the low recoil #00 though. If I can find a good price, I would buy a case & just stay w/ that. Magnum buck is just not needed & much slower for follow up shots.

·
Registered
29,731 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say worthless. #4 buck in close is pretty devistating, why I like it inside a home. It doesn't penetrate walls as easily & at room distance of say 30ft, you get all 27 24cal pellets on target. I do like the recoil characteristics of the low recoil #00 though. If I can find a good price, I would buy a case & just stay w/ that. Magnum buck is just not needed & much slower for follow up shots.
I agree with that big time.

I also agree that at an inside the home distance, #4 buck will do fine. If you think you may need to take longer shots--say, more than 50 feet, then the heavier #1 and 00 would be a better choice.

My shotty is loaded with low-recoil 00; either Federal Tactical or Winchester Ranger(they performed so darn near identically, I've no problem using ether one, and I don't rightly recall what's in it right now).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts