Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local gun store/range had a Springfield Test Drive event, so I went down to check out the 5.25. For $10, they give you a standard XD 9mm and 10 rounds, then the 5.25 and 10 rounds. Shoot and compare. Then they give you a free XDM 5.25 T-shirt. :)

The 5.25 felt just like my XDM40 in my hands, but the sight picture is obviously a little different with the 3-dot sight. The red fiber optic is very visible. To be completely honest, however, I was much more accurate with the standard XD9 than with the 5.25. I'm not quite sure what caused that: anticipation, not taking enough time to get used to it, or lack of ammunition to play with. I think I just rushed the shots because I'm used to shooting over 50 rounds per outing, and 10 shots just go by way too fast.

I asked how much they're going to be and the store had a price of $569 on it, but the survey they have you fill out says that MSRP is $769. If they keep a $569 price point, I'll definitely get one soon, but if it's going to be the higher one, I might have to hold off. Either way, I still want to shoot one some more to see how much better I could do if I have more time and ammo.

Edit: Seems people are thinking that the store had the XDM 5.25 priced at $569 and was selling them at that price. I think I didn't explain enough: That was what the tag hanging behind the gun on the peg said. Whether that was for the XDM 5.25 or a standard XDM or standard XD, I don't know for sure. I asked the guy if that was going to be the price for the XDM 5.25 when it was released, he glanced at it, and said "Yeah, sure." I didn't believe him then, and after hearing what some of you are paying, I still don't believe that is the price they will have them for. Mid-600s to mid-700's is what I would expect, and the experiences of some of your purchases reinforces that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put about three hundred rounds through my new 5.25 last night. Some were NATO and some were Sellier and Bellot inexpensive rounds. I've shot my brothers XD 9mm quite a bit, and my M&P 9mm even more, but the 5.25 is a new experience.

The weight is very different than my M&P full size 9mm. The lightening cut and plastic guide rod make a noticeable difference. It lightens up drastically as the clip empties all 19 rds, of course. I paid somewhere around 729 USD and it's well worth it, but it will take some getting used to.

When I am focused, the pistol certainly takes any kind of mechanical issues out of the equation. The sights are near ideal for getting back on target after a shot. Now I just have to see and/or try those fancy VTAC sights!

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is a great price! I did this same thing a few weeks ago. They let me shoot the 3.8 compact instead of the 5.25 because that was what I was there to see. Needless to say I pick up my new XDm 9mm compact tomorrow night. Just in time for the long weekend.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the price is going to be as low as 569 either. As soon as I saw that, I thought it must be some kind of mistake. Time will tell. Either way, I wish I had more time to test it out and see how well it shoots. Like I said, 10 rounds really isn't enough to even get used to it.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
We have about 1500 rounds through our's, not even one FTE or any problems to mention.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did the special shoot as well, shot 18 of 20 in the black, just shooting as fast as I could. The orange dot sight is easy to see. Nice gun. I did not shoot 10 in the other gun since I have XDM 9mm already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm gonna get one of these very soon. Depending on how it shoots for me it may get a trip to Springer Precision for a little spit and polish.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'm gonna get one of these very soon. Depending on how it shoots for me it may get a trip to Springer Precision for a little spit and polish.
Don't forget the BarSto barrel & frame/slide tightening ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
got mine for 685+tax

I also found it was different to shoot vs my xdm 9 compact... but considering I could hit the bulls eye when I actually took as much time as I needed, I think the gun itself is good, I just need to get used to it (and try a different back strap)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would also like to know where you guys are getting such a great deal at. My local gun dealer gives me pretty decent prices since we are in there all the time. And he is always close to the low end on any quote I've ever gotten and he quoted the new 5.25" .45 @ 750$

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday on my day off, I went to the family-owned gun shop where I bought my XDM .40. I knew that their prices were probably the lowest I was going to find based on what my XDM cost versus what the other gun stores were charging. I was actually going there to find out the price on a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 MOE ($509, btw), but I noticed a XDM 5.25 sitting in the bottom shelf of the front counter. I asked how much they were charging for it, and the owner got it out, let me handle it, and I looked at the tag: $689. Not too bad. A little cheaper than what I expected it to be, considering I've heard other people say it was going to start at the mid-700's.

I think the M&P 15-22 is going to be the next firearm purchase I make, but if I'm ever in the market for another pistol, I'll probably end up getting the 5.25.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed a XDM 5.25 sitting in the bottom shelf of the front counter. I asked how much they were charging for it, and the owner got it out, let me handle it, and I looked at the tag: $689. Not too bad. A little cheaper than what I expected it to be, considering I've heard other people say it was going to start at the mid-700's.
Assuming that was a black on black 9mm?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, black on black, 9mm. It's a pretty sharp piece of work. The slide seems to move back much smoother than my .40. Lighter spring pressure, maybe? Or maybe just a better-machined design.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.