Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can these be loaded properly in an automatic? My Dad is looking to buy a pistol to shoot snakes, and I'm steering him toward an XD, but I looked at shot shells, and I'm wondering about feeding problems.

Thanks,

Slim

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Can these be loaded properly in an automatic? My Dad is looking to buy a pistol to shoot snakes, and I'm steering him toward an XD, but I looked at shot shells, and I'm wondering about feeding problems.

Thanks,

Slim
Feeding is generally okay, but they will not properly cycle the slide on an automatic.

For a snake gun get a good revolver.

·
Registered
56 Posts
one of the better snake guns is the Judge by Taurus will handel both snakes or wild pigs depending wick loade you have in it .45 COLT OR .410
B.J.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
they work they just wont cycle. ive used mine to shoot a rattle snake once but thats the only time i used it

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
My Xd .45 cycles these just fine, but I haven't shot tons (maybe a couple dozen). For snakes a revolver is better IMO because when I see one I want to be 100% sure it goes bang. I did have some adventures shooting skunks with the .45 shotshells this past summer. Usually a 1 shot kill from around 30-40 feet.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My Xd .45 cycles these just fine, but I haven't shot tons (maybe a couple dozen). For snakes a revolver is better IMO because when I see one I want to be 100% sure it goes bang. I did have some adventures shooting skunks with the .45 shotshells this past summer. Usually a 1 shot kill from around 30-40 feet.
30 - 40 FEET? Just what size shot from a barrel as short as a handgun will really take a mammal the size of a skunk from that far? I don't think i'd take that shot with #9 in a .410. Id' just &*$$ him off.

I want some of those loads.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
30 - 40 FEET? Just what size shot from a barrel as short as a handgun will really take a mammal the size of a skunk from that far? I don't think i'd take that shot with #9 in a .410. Id' just &*$$ him off.

I want some of those loads.
I was suprised with how well they did out of a 4" barrell. I wasn't getting any closer than that though for the initial shot if I could help it. Most shots were taken around 30 feet with the XD. A couple times I got within about 10-20' to finish the job, but did stop one cold from about 30'. We had a 410 with number 4 ( our preferred choice) A Judge with #4 .410 shotshells and me with my XD 45( CCI #9). Most of these skunks were young and small, about 2-4 pounds, but we did get one that was about 6-8 pounds with the .410.

I posted this after the first couple hunts. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/81087-skunk-busting-xd45c-style.html After that we got a little more brazen and experienced and started taking slightly longer shots. (After those first couple nights my wife almost kicked me out of the house because I got some residual spray on me from the wind blowing on my follow-up shots, so longer shots were a must)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
From a 4" barrel, that must spead about 4 feet at 10 yards (a guess). It doesn't seem it would be deadly to anything at that range with such light shot.

Can you shoot a paper target at that range and post a picture? I'd love to see that pattern. I'd like to be convinced; then I'll carry it on my mountain hikes. Western diamondacks, ya know.

Lucky if you didn't get sprayed by the skunk.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah...they will cycle in a semi-auto like an XD, but not 100% of the time. The shotshell rounds were designed to be fired from revolvers and single-shots only.

I have used the .45acp loads in an older S&W 625 with great results out to less than 20 feet or so. Any more than that and you are pushing the limits of the cartridge and the revolver. I don't know if the loads for the .44 Mag or the .357 Mag are any better ballistically than those for the .45acp, but it might be worth looking into before settling on a .45acp handgun if this will be a dedicated "snake charmer."

Also, if concealability isn't an issue, I'd much rather have an 870 with an 18" barrel and a WHOLE LOT MORE SHOT than I would a pistol.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
From a 4" barrel, that must spead about 4 feet at 10 yards (a guess). It doesn't seem it would be deadly to anything at that range with such light shot.

Can you shoot a paper target at that range and post a picture? I'd love to see that pattern. I'd like to be convinced; then I'll carry it on my mountain hikes. Western diamondacks, ya know.

Lucky if you didn't get sprayed by the skunk.
I'll try to do that paper for you. I'm not going to the range for a while so I'm going to have to find the right time to do it in my back yard. Neigbors, ya know :D. I'll mark off with a 30' tape and shoot a 8x11 piece of computer paper then scan it in.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sorry man, not buying 30-40ft effective range. I've patterned 45acp shot at 25ft & you'ld be lucky to get enough shot into the snake to kill it w/ one shot. The 45colt is your best bet for max. size charge. Handload them yourself w/ the Speer shot caps & #9 shot.:mrgreen: JMO but, if the snake is 40ft away, he doesn't need killing & if he does, get inside 20ft, aim for the head w/ your shot shell.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Is it really possible to put shot shells in my xd45? If so, what kind?
CCI/Speer makes them. They may or may not function the slide &/or feed in your pistol, but you'll have to check for yourself.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Sorry man, not buying 30-40ft effective range. I've patterned 45acp shot at 25ft & you'ld be lucky to get enough shot into the snake to kill it w/ one shot. The 45colt is your best bet for max. size charge. Handload them yourself w/ the Speer shot caps & #9 shot.:mrgreen: JMO but, if the snake is 40ft away, he doesn't need killing & if he does, get inside 20ft, aim for the head w/ your shot shell.
Absolutely. They lose a lot with greater distances. they're definitely intended for the "oh sh!t I just tripped over a copperhead" situations. From my experience they were effective in killing small skunks at ranges that exceeded thirty feet (I wanted to stay as far away as possible). The majority of the time they didn't die immediately but certainly otherwise would have. In order to be humane and certain, I got as close as I would dare (about 15-20 feet) and poped 'em again for good measure. 100% of the time this worked and several times I never had to re-shoot b/c it was clearly dead.
I also patterned the shot on a 2"x8" this past summer at 30' and was amazed that it took so few of those tiny pellets to kill a juvenile skunk. I don't know, maybe try them on some squirrels if you're not convinced, most of the young skunks were about the same size. Next "season" I'm bringing the video camera and a tape measure :wink:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts