Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: I love it lol. I put 250 rnds down it and luv it only complaint is that the mags are high cap mags and at first I could only load 8 rnds in it. I worked my way up to 10 but I stoped trying to do it after I cut my finger trying to force all 12 in. I've shot some 9mm I rented from the range before and this being my first handgun I was a little intimidated about the recoil. It sure as heck didnt feel like it had half as much recoil as the ones I had shot before. I shot WWB 165 GR full metal jacket.

I dont know if its me or what but i was grouping my shots at about 4" but they were all low and to the left. Anybody got any opinions on this, I think you can"t adjust the dovetail sights so I might just found and excuse to buy some nice ones. Opinions on that would be appreciated also.

Hey Dave now we can meet up and go shooting. Thanks all for convincing me on getting The XD-40 :lol:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Here is a trick I learned awhile ago from Dave Dawson that you could try with your mags. When the spring is new take it out of the mag and compress the coils two or three at a time through all the coils. springs will take a set the first time they are compressed, so if you do this first it will make loading easier. I have been doing this with the last 4 or 5 XD mags I picked up, and all the mag springs I have used in my STI mags for the last 4 years. That might make loading easier, or you could try a mag loader form www.pistol-gear.com .
Your mags will get easier to load after you use them a while.

As for your sights I had kinda the same problem with my Tactical and Service models, I ended up putting Dawson adjustable fiber opitics on the Tac, and Dawson adjustable night sights on the Service modle. The groups went from 3-4" down to 1-1 1/2" with the new sights. My sub-compact shoots about 3' groups, but it's not a target pistol.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Here is a trick I learned awhile ago from Dave Dawson that you could try with your mags. When the spring is new take it out of the mag and compress the coils two or three at a time through all the coils. springs will take a set the first time they are compressed, so if you do this first it will make loading easier. I have been doing this with the last 4 or 5 XD mags I picked up, and all the mag springs I have used in my STI mags for the last 4 years. That might make loading easier, or you could try a mag loader form www.pistol-gear.com .
Your mags will get easier to load after you use them a while.

As for your sights I had kinda the same problem with my Tactical and Service models, I ended up putting Dawson adjustable fiber opitics on the Tac, and Dawson adjustable night sights on the Service modle. The groups went from 3-4" down to 1-1 1/2" with the new sights. My sub-compact shoots about 3' groups, but it's not a target pistol.
Hope this helps some.
Hello 40,
I'm considering getting new sights on my XD-40 Service. My older eyes aren't that great and I am curious as to why your new Dawson adjustable sights improved your shooting. Was it the adjustability that resulted in the improvements? Or the sight picture? The shape of the sights? Or anything else?

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts