Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the local match today, had a great time. The stages had a focus on strong/weak hand shooting, something I haven't really had the chance to practice. Felt weird not using my traditional Weaver grip, but I didn't think I did too bad. I'm getting the hang of planning my moves in Production, I find it runs a lot like a trail course on horseback, so I love the mental aspect of it. Still trying to get my times down, but I haven't shot in a month. I'm definitely looking at a DGR and maybe new sights with a significantly thinner front sight. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shoot every match you can. Ask other shooters what mods they have done. Find a range to practice at that allows holster work and two shot rapid fire. Do 15 minutes of dry fire practice as often as you can...

I've been shooting USPSA for 5 months now and love it!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Never reload standing still. Always reload when moving from place to place. Standing reloads are real time killers. It may make perfect sense to do a reload after only firing 4 or 6 shots, depending on the COF. Change the mag as you move to your next position and arrive with a full mag. You are going to have a blast !!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a big fan of dry-fire for trigger control, I practice reloads at home with empty mags (just working on finding the magwell without disturbing my focus downrange- muscle memory). A lot of the guys go to a local range on Mondays and Wednesdays, great for me because I have wednesday off if I don't decide to work in my other department. The other shooters are real upstanding folks.

My big problem is getting back on target quickly, I'm going to really start focusing on my front sight and picking my sight picture up faster.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you're free this weekend, take a ride to the Gator Classic in Thibodaux. You'll be able to see almost all makes amd models of guns and gear. Any questions will be cheerfully answered. There will be a few vendors who will be selling guns and gear.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't make it to the Gator, my parents want me home for my birthday apparently. Funny, as I've spent every birthday for the last five years away from home. :)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yeah the gator is a BIG match, weve got a few of our club members goin to it... what part of LA are you from deerslayer??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hail from New Iberia but I'm living in Baton Rouge and going to LSU. I'm new to shooting sports, but I've been hunting and shooting all my life- heading up the effort to get a competitive shooting team started at LSU.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I hail from New Iberia but I'm living in Baton Rouge and going to LSU. I'm new to shooting sports, but I've been hunting and shooting all my life- heading up the effort to get a competitive shooting team started at LSU.
You need to look up the Miguez crew. They're from New Iberia also. Last time I talked to Blake, he was still at LSU. BTW, Blake is USPSA GrandMaster in open and limited. His dad, Steve is Master and his little brother, Ridge is coming up pretty quick. Blake was selected to represent the USA at the World Shoot in Bali, so they won't be at the Gator either.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Ridge, used to lift weights with him back when I was in high school. Real nice fellow, and from the phone conversations I had with Mr. Miguez and Blake, also good folks. Blake's already taken his bar exam, last I checked. Shame for such a good shooter to go do something like become a lawyer./sarcasm.

I have a sister in law school and both my parents were attorneys- the brother and I swore we'd never do it, and turned to vet med.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey, if any of you guys are ever around the Lake Charles/DeRidder/Leesville area drop me an email ( [email protected] ) Were pretty much the only club in the SWLA area, and we have 2 matches a month... Pistol only, and Multi/3 gun...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, I was just joking about Blake. Never met him directly, but from the phone conversations I've had from him and from testimony from gym buddies, he's good people.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You will probabley be ditchin the weaver stance!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've experimented with cup/saucer and other grips, I found that for my small hands the Weaver gave me the best control and support. I'm sure something will come along to challenge that, it's just what's always worked for me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
dyferant, deerslayer said "grip" not stance. It's hard to say one would use this or that stance while shooting USPSA matches. Shooting on the move or around barricades won't allow any one particular stance to be used. :-DWe call it freestyle:cool:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow scooter,, I mean freestyle is one thing but your post seems a little defensive? Weaver means one thing it is a grip and stance. I dont know of any top shooters who still use it. In fact I dont know any USPSA shooters who use it past six months of getting in the sport!

·
Registered
435 Posts
we all have that problem, sometimes its alcohol induced also... I just got a new laptop and am having a hardtime not hitting the wrong buttons on this reduced size keyboard. Evrytime go for the shift key I seem to hit the damm up arrow:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts