Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those slanted muzzle brakes and while shooting last Saturday it blew apart. There was no real damage to the shooter or the rest of the firearm. The threaded part stayed on but the portion that extends beyond the muzzle was blown apart. We had about 400 or so rounds down range when it happened and the only thing I can come up with is that it heated up and then deformed a bit causing a slug to catch it. Any other ideas as to why this might have happened? I was planning on putting a JTAC 47 on it but now I'd like to wait until I know if this was caused by a malfunction in my gun or just a faulty muzzle brake.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you removed the threaded part of the break that stayed on? Maybe the nose of your rifle hit the ground and screwed up the threads?? I assume you would have noticed something like this, but maybe?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you removed the threaded part of the break that stayed on? Maybe the nose of your rifle hit the ground and screwed up the threads?? I assume you would have noticed something like this, but maybe?
Yep, the threads are fine. As far as the nose hitting the ground I honestly don't think hat happened. I will be posting pics in the next few hours so you guys can see what's going on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I noticed a small ding in the crown of my J-TAC47 from where a round had struck it so i contacted primary arms and they said they make theres in large batches and its all quality controlled and they said a problem with WASRs can be that the actual threading on the rifle is not concentric to the bore. So the muzzle-brake was good but my rifle threading is kaput.. Now i run the original slant brake with no problems. Seems like it would have to be severely off to get your results though. Cant see that little piece of metal on the slant brake gettin in the way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a Polish 1960. I shined a light down the barrel when I bought the gun but I'll have to take a look again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Im talking about the threading on the exterior of the barrel for the muzzle brake not the rifling inside the barrel.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Judgeing on the almost perfect break around the barrel Id guess at one time or another (poss. multiple times) it got banged pretty good and cracked/weakend the metal brake. Then with every shot just kept weakening the brake till failure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Judgeing on the almost perfect break around the barrel Id guess at one time or another (poss. multiple times) it got banged pretty good and cracked/weakend the metal brake. Then with every shot just kept weakening the brake till failure.
^ This + heat expanding and contracting the metal on a hair line fracture would do this. My guess is that the fracture in the metal got hot fast and the gasses blew it apart.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
^ This + heat expanding and contracting the metal on a hair line fracture would do this. My guess is that the fracture in the metal got hot fast and the gasses blew it apart.
Cheap US made piece of junk?? Put it on too tight?? There should be a little play when its installed. And unless I'm missing it, I don't see the index notch on the base....

And JTAC put in a good reason about dinging the brake....thats why the exit hole is much larger than the projectile. Take a drill and open it up some. And JTAC just made themselves look stupid. I had one of their brakes on a Mosin. Dinged the brake a bunch of times. Same when I put it on an AK...Never dinged any of the other AK/RPK/AKSU, PSL, SVT, PKM brakes or blank firing adapters I converted to brakes ....hmmmm, guess the bore vs threads are fine! just my opinion though....:?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts