·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my rifle built and dialed in... then this happened tonight:

Outside to outside = .608"
1 Caliber diamater = .223"
Exact center to center grouping = .385"

Easily my best shots at 100yds, used a 55gr Hornady VMax factory load, gotta say I as impressed with the ammo as I was my shooting.

Here's a good pic of my setup

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Very nice. Gotta love a precision AR. I started handloading for mine and found a new addiction. It's interesting to see how the smallest changes in your ammunition can affect accuracy in such large ways.

Mine loves the V-Max's as well, but I've only tried the 50gr. I figure why mess with success. ;)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
What's your twist rate?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Someone has to say it..... 5 or 10 shot groups are a much better indicator of the rifle's potential. :wink:

That being said, I've never needed more than the 1st shot for deer hunting so as long as the cold-bore shot works first time, every time, I'm good with that. Maybe the guy that made up the 5 shot group thing was shooting 5 deer every season! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone has to say it..... 5 or 10 shot groups are a much better indicator of the rifle's potential. :wink:

That being said, I've never needed more than the 1st shot for deer hunting so as long as the cold-bore shot works first time, every time, I'm good with that. Maybe the guy that made up the 5 shot group thing was shooting 5 deer every season! :mrgreen:
I think a 5 or 10 shot group is more an indicator of the shooter's skill, not necessarily the rifle... IMO. I only had 3 rounds left of the VMax round I was shooting. The other stuff I had was PMC/American Eagle/Federal M193

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I can typically pull off a nice 3shot group.

Then it all falls apart. And you know what? It's me. I screw it up every . . . dang . . . time! :D

But, regardless, nice group! Now, work on those 5-10 shot strings. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
GT Jon....practice and consistency.

OP, those V-Max bullets are great, aren't they? I have an old Rem 788 in .223 and it loves the little 40 grain pills with its slower twist rate barrel.

I shot this during handload workups for my Savage .308. 175 gr SMKs and Varget powder. You can see the other two loads just weren't close but no cigar. ;-)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm working on those 5 rounders ;)

zona, very nice. I love the V-Max rounds - very accurate with the little experience I have with them... eventually once I get components, I'll load 223 for my AR... not in any sort of huge bulk, but enough to keep me on the range once every couple weeks.

Also, just bought a 12" smooth handguard from Yankee Hill Machine, an adjustable gas block by Syrac, and a better charging handle by BCM (Mod 4)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This group was shot about 15 yrs ago. Three shots at 100 yds with a Savage 116 in 300 RUM. All the planets and stars were aligned at this one instant in time. It'll never happen again in my life time. The load was 95.4 gr of R22 behind a Barnes X bullet ignited by a Federal Match primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
This group was shot about 15 yrs ago. Three shots at 100 yds with a Savage 116 in 300 RUM. All the planets and stars were aligned at this one instant in time. It'll never happen again in my life time. The load was 95.4 gr of R22 behind a Barnes X bullet ignited by a Federal Match primer.

What a cannon that round is! And a barrel burner I'm sure.

Damn fine group though.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Not to hijack OP, but an ar is on my short list of guns. Which really isn't short at all. But anyway, will your 1:8 shoot accurately shorter (lighter) bullets under 55gr?
I think I will get a 1:8 or 1:9.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Very nice! I'm hoping this isnt a fluke - we'll see once I get some more parts in and find some more good ammo.

Not to hijack OP, but an ar is on my short list of guns. Which really isn't short at all. But anyway, will your 1:8 shoot accurately shorter (lighter) bullets under 55gr?
You know I'm not really sure. I haven't shot anything lighter than a 55 out of it so I don't know what a 1:8 would do. If you're going to go lighter than that, I think a 1:9 in a 18 or 20" barrel would be sweet shooting. Someone else would have to chime in on that.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
My 1:8 RRA 20" medium weight stainless barrel shoots 36gr Varmint Grenades just fine. Usually your issue is slower twists not matching up with longer/heavier bullets. 1:9 will work fine for anything 62gr or below. Anything heavier/longer (69gr or 77gr), 1:7 or 1:8 is typically recommended.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I'm working on those 5 rounders ;)

zona, very nice. I love the V-Max rounds - very accurate with the little experience I have with them... eventually once I get components, I'll load 223 for my AR... not in any sort of huge bulk, but enough to keep me on the range once every couple weeks.

Also, just bought a 12" smooth handguard from Yankee Hill Machine, an adjustable gas block by Syrac, and a better charging handle by BCM (Mod 4)
So, you're going to be shooting .300 Blackout suppressed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts