Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a lefty and decided to try shooting with my off hand. I actually shot better, but why? Maybe my right hand didn't pick up any bad habits that have been trained into my left, or maybe its because my right eye is stonger? I'll have to try it again next time to see if it was a fluke.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen this sort of thing quite often. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to be uncommon. On the other hand, it's certainly not true for me. My off-hand shooting is...unimpressive. :)

Scott

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
Hi,

I'm a lefty and decided to try shooting with my off hand. I actually shot better, but why? Maybe my right hand didn't pick up any bad habits that have been trained into my left, or maybe its because my right eye is stonger? I'll have to try it again next time to see if it was a fluke.
I find the same thing. I believe it's "no bad habits" as you said.

But that is one handed shootinng. I have not really tried it two handed. I should and see how it works out.

I played low minor league baseball aa a kid. (instructional league). I never hit switch (left handed) ...I thought I couldn't do it. One day a hitting instructor asked me if I played tennis. I said..."yeah...but now well". He asked if I could hit a backhand. I said I could. He said if I could hit a backhand with a tennis racket, why couldn't I hit a baseball left handed?. I said I didn't know, I never tried.

I later played college baseball. I hit for a higher avg. left handed than right. I had a much lower slugging pct., but I made better contact.

Do I understand all of it? No....it just worked. I think my mechanics were just better. I had hit right handed since I was five (or whatever age it was). I had all my "bad habits" as part of my swing....regardless of hitting coaches. They only work with your "natural" swing. I had no "natural" left handed swing, so I could only learn from the ground up...

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's quite common to do better with your "wrong hand". Bad habits are part of it, but you are also feeling all the subtle pressures, nuaces, etc. and you are really really concentrating on getting it right. Now you just need to transfer those lessons to your normal hand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I make it a habit to occasionally shoot with my left hand. It feels awkward but I can actually shoot pretty good left handed. It's good practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts