Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a friends Glock 23Compensated at the range the other day, it's his primary CCW peice. All I have to say is WOW. Found that follow up shots nearly aimed themselves, overall I was VERY impressed. The only mod he's done to it is a 3.5 pound trigger, which felt great.

Alternated between shooting his glock and my XD with the same ammo. First off I was shocked that a smaller pistol was able to get 13 .40 rounds in the mag (he had +2 extenions that even looked nicer then the ones available for the XD).... but it felt soo nice to shoot compaired to the XD, recoil was nothing.

my XD is about a year and a half old (xd 40 / service), only thing I've done to it is night sights. I'm thinking of doing the guide rod by Don, but I'm wondering how much of a difference this will make? After shooting his glock I was basically sold on it, first glock I've ever enjoyed shooting. :oops:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glock 23 was way too small for me to comfortably shoot it.. the XD fit my hand alot better and felt more "natural". I still have the stock guide rod in my XD, havent seen a need to replace it yet. Glocks are great guns, you wouldnt go wrong buying one.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
that glock is ported, so its GONNA have less recoil. the problem with that as a ccw piece is muzzle flash. furthermore, cleaning it is a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I concur on the clean-up. I have the XD-40 V-10 service, which is compensated. After shooting it cleanup takes a bit longer because of the powder flash coming through the slide. The gun is worth is though hardly any muzzle kick SWEET. I also have the subbie in same caliber AWESOME. Sent the V-10 back to Springfield for recoating and maybe night sights. I have the Surefire x200 light assembly for it and it's a nice piece. :p

·
Registered
539 Posts
Never shot a Glock. The day I bought my first pistol I rented the XD first and never looked back. I've been meaning to rent a Glock at the Range to see if I'm missing anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember seeing a web site with a company that offered all kinds of re-finishing and pistolsmith options, one of which was porting.

I was actually trying to find their web site again because of a finish I wanted to do on my 1911..... anyone know of the site? I think their name started with an "A"

·
Registered
813 Posts
Compensated is great for range/competition shooting, but pretty worthless for anything at night. The first shot will take out your night vision and usually cause enough blindness that you will have problems seeing the target for the next shots.
Overkill has a nice pic of his ported XD being shot at night that shows the blast.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
willbond said:
Never shot a Glock. The day I bought my first pistol I rented the XD first and never looked back. I've been meaning to rent a Glock at the Range to see if I'm missing anything.
ur not missing TOO much. you wont be able to hit jack shooting a glock for the 1st time(comming from only using the XD). the grip angle on the glocks are wicked. like anything though youll get used to it eventully. secondly, the trigger sucks. it doesnt have that crisp break that the XD has, but it does reset a little quicker. other than that, glocks are good weapons..they feel/sound like they arent constructed as well as the xd in my opinion. however these are proven weapons none the less. i try to make myself like glocks everytime i pick one up..its just the "feel" isnt there. so ill stick to my XDs. youre mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
all u have to do is set your shutter to "bulb" or at least several seconds. then fire the weapon while the shutter is open. it works best setting the aperature at f/8 and the iso setting at 400. this should work with digital or film.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, the FEEL of the XD in my hand had me about sold before I even shot it. I'd borrowed two Sigs and two HK's from my friend to try them out. I liked them just fine, but I'd heard that the XD was a good buy, and I liked the idea of a grip safety and a trigger safety, so I decided to go back to the Range and rent an XD and a Glock and compare them. I picked up the XD and said "Ohhhhhhhhhh yeeeaaaaahhhhh...." it felt so frigging RIGHT. Better than the Sig or HK's that I'd shot the day before. So I rented it and it shot so well I figured for about 150 bucks less than the rest I couldn't go wrong. I didn't even try the Glock. I also typically don't go with whatever is most popular, so I was probably a little prejudiced against the idea of Glocks to begin with.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Nikon777 writes:
then fire the weapon while the shitter is open.
That was a REALLY bad typo! LMBO!!

Raymond

(edited to add: I think it's kind of shitty to edit your post after somebody points out your typo..)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
nikon777 said:
that glock is ported, so its GONNA have less recoil. the problem with that as a ccw piece is muzzle flash. furthermore, cleaning it is a pain in the rear.
Muzzle flash is bad If you wanna see the Perp you are shooting at!
It might scare the PERP too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replies

but... anyone have the guide rod in a 40 care to make a statement?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Oh, and Rob_M, I looked back at my posts and it sounds like I was cutting Glocks. I really wasn't, as a matter of fact you've got me interested in renting one at the Range to check them out. Me not going for a Glock doesn't have anything to do with me not liking them. I'm sure the reputation they have for reliability and accuracy isn't for nothing. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts