Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really impressed with the craftsmanship of this pistol. I wasn't the base model. I think he said it was $800 new.
Very impressed!
Very accurate and smooth. He had a XD in the .45 as well, but the real deal, in my opinion, was the 1911.
The XD was nice, smooth, accurate and I'll give it 2 thumbs up; It still don't compare to the 1911.
I had a Colt, 1911 .45 in '85. What a difference! I think Springfield improved on the colt design.
Thanks to a fellow XDTalk member and thanks to this Forum, I am now aware of some really well made firearms. Being a Glock fan for 20 years, I'm glad to have had this experience.
JhankG, thanks for comming up!
PS Nice CMMG AR Too!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Yes, a 1911 is an awesome gun, and Springer makes some nice models.

I got an MC Operator a few months ago - love it!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree, I have three Springer 1911s and love them! But don't be quick to judge the XD, that is my primary carry weapon and has been an excellent choice. I've got 1200-1500 rounds through it (I quit counting a long time back) and not one FTF/FTE or hiccup. It is lighter than even my Lightweight Operator 1911 and carries nearly double the rounds (13+1 vs 7+1). It is very accurate and 100% reliable.

I consider them to be different weapons but all of the highest quality. Springfield not only makes some excellent products, but they are well known for their outstanding customer service. Recently, a police officer in eastern Texas had damage to his XD due to Hurricane Ike. He sent it back to Springfield and they not only put in a new barrel; but did a complete workover on the gun at no cost! He said the thing was better than new when he got it back (they also paid for shipping!). That is yet another reason why I am a dedicated Springfield customer!

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Loaded's are good servicable pistols but are rough around the edges, For most 1911 fans this is no big deal as they do work. My loaded stainless had several sharp edges, sharp enough to open up my palm trying to clear a jam in the first 50 rds. The Extractors tend to be on the tight side and the disconnectors are a litle oversized which causes the drag on the slide that you hear about on a regular basis. That said once I broke the sharp edges with fine grit sand paper, adjusted the extractor and beveled the disconnector it's golden. The trigger is perfect for a carry gun 5.5 lbs but breaks smoothly and clean, Sights are great for a defensive pistol, Accuracy is great, reliability has been perfect since the extractor adjustment. After about 2000 rds it has smoothed almost to the point of my Kimber Custom 2. Once you ditch the ILS B.S. and put decent grips and magwell on it they are fine pistols.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks. I had a feeling thats what it was, but was only aware of Taurus pistols having that type of "keyed" locking system. Just looked around and see that removing it and installing a new housing is pretty simple. Good to know! Im going to look at a SA loaded tonight, so Im on a "learning spree" right now.

J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts