Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread posted a couple weeks ago about a guy firing 9mm in his 40 and I thought...what an idiot. We'll, I just joined the club last weekend.

I have a 9SC, my friend a 40SC and we were sharing a lane at the range taking turns, one firing while one reloads. i was up and accidently put my 9mm mag into my friends 40 (in defense of my stupidity, the guns look identical and my friend put his gun down to the left of mine, he usually always gets the right side of the bench). chambered a round and fired. I heard a low pitched "thud" and we looked at each other, WTF??? The empty case didn't eject, it was still in the chamber. I was shooting Blazer Aluminum and it was ripped down the length of the case. We fieldstripped and inspected his gun and there was no visual damage to the chamber or barrel. We test fired it and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: Well its good nothing bad happened. Anyone tried to drop the 9mm sub barrel into a 40 sub.

Hey witch one do you like best. Looking at subs but can decide on 9 or 40.

·
Registered
171 Posts
so it didnt fire or anything?

9mm bullet in a 40cal handgun, huh I guess I don't know enough about guns yet to understand why it atleast didnt fire? I know its not the right side in gurth and everything, but I dunno anywone care to explain?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
XD 40 mike said:
so it didnt fire or anything?
It will fire once. Doesn't really hurt anything (except your pride). The case swells up and gets stuck in the chamber. Since the barrel isn't sealed properly with the undersized round it has a nice feel to it as it is not the full recoil due to the gas leakage. I'm speaking from experience. Fired a 9mm out of my Beretta 96 (.40 cal) a few months ago.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it fired. it actually wasn't a bad shot either. The case didn't eject but it wasn't stuck either. when I cycled the slide the ripped aluminum case came right out. The difference between the two is slight. The external dimensions are the same. When your doing slow fire it feels close to the same (for me anyways) in recoil. When you do double taps or rapid fire, the 9 is easier to get back on target. Personally I prefer the 9mm in the SC because i can shoot it faster, smoother and more accurate than the 40. i can shoot the 40 accurate as well, just not as fast. That being said, my friend loves his 40SC as much as I love my 9SC, so its a personal choice. If your wanting a larger caliber but are concerned about the recoil in the SC, it can handle it fine. I usaully have to buy the beers afterwards, since I'm saving the $$ on cheaper ammo.

I have put my 9mm barrel into my friends 40 and everything fit, but we're both chicken $#&* to fire it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know that they dont have aftermarket conversion barrels for the sc yet. I don’t know it is a hard dissension. I have a 9mm service so can just buy more bulk ammo. My wife can shoot the 9mm not sure how she would like the 40 especially in a sub might be too much kick for her. I like the cheapness of ammo in the 9mm and being able to shoot in it accurately faster. But the extra power in the 40 sounds nice since it will be for carring. I could get a conversion barrel down the road. Part of me wishes I got a service 40 and then a conversion barrel like so many others. Anyway it is good to hear form someone that has shot both. Decisions decisions. :cry: :cry: :cry: If I only had the money to get them all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts