Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are shorter cased cartidges more accurate than longer cased? Many people will argue that the .308 Winchester is more accurate than the 30-06 citing a more uniform burn of the powder, and because the cartridge is shorter, it stays more in "square" to its base. So as far as accuracy, is GAP > ACP? 40 > 10mm and 380 > 9mm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at the new WSSM they aren't the end all be all in accuracy. I think it has more to do with less case taper and sharper shoulder than over all length.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Many of the shorter cases are more efficiant than the longer cases due to advances in powders and primers. That does not mean more accurate but they will make the same velocities or better with smaller amounts of powder. I have absolutely no experience with the .45 gap but have a hard time believing that it will be more accurate than the .45acp. What it does offer is a smaller grip, saving money for the companies that already have designes for a 9mm sized weapon and putting .45acp punch into high capacity weapon that people with small hands can control. This goes the same for the 10mm-40s&w. However the downside is higher preassures that increase wear on pistols and causes that annoying muzzle flip so common to todays plastic framed pistols. Or .40cal glocks to go boom instead of bang. I will be curious to see if the .45gap has the same explosive personality in Glock pistols.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My belief is that one would need to get well down a long list of items that potentially effect accuracy before you even get to cartridge length. The gun needs to be matched to the shooter, the ammo needs to matched to the gun, shooting distance, shooting conditions, etc. all become variables that figure into accuracy. One could try to approach it from an everything else being equal position, but in the real world everything else isn't equal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On bottle neck rounds, it has a lot to do with shoulder angle and length of neck. .222 Remington was king of the hill in bench rest shooting until the PPC family of cartridges came along. The 45 GAP was developed to offer 45 ACP performance out of a shorter case so existing 9mm and 40 cal framed pistols could be used. The 308 is inherently more accurate than a 30-06, but was developed to offer a shorter overall round for machine guns than the 30-06, with the same performance. If case length were the only criteria, the 30-30 would be a highly accurate round, which isn't the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts