Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have started thinking about a grab and go gear bag, and it could double a range bag as well. I don’t need a battle bag or anything, but something that is sturdy and makes sense.

I did start google searching for reviews, but none of the reviews like top 10 remotely mentioned the 511 Tactec Chest Rig. I kind of like it and it looks simple enough. There is unfortunately not any description of the pouch dimensions, and I believe from looking at it, that is should hold PMag 40 size magazines.

Does anyone have one of these? Or from your experience if you have purchased some in the past what do you think about this one?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Change of plans. I found at this point something that makes more sense. It's a 5.11 Tactical 2-Banger Bag, Weatherproof, Gun Concealment, Multiple Magazine . Which I should be able to find versatile uses. 2-Banger Bag 3L

Reactions: BassCliff

·
16,345 Posts
Nice. I recently made the same choice but a holster. But that looks very versatile.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
16,345 Posts

Tuckergun leather. Its still a couple months out. I can still use it OBW.

Chest_Rig_03__09508.1578262769.jpg

Reactions: masterchither

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Tuckergun leather. Its still a couple months out. I can still use it OBW.
Wow I like that! I have so many alien gear holsters. I don't have one like that, I should seriously look into that.

This has been an interesting year. Living in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis, it's been on thing after another. The problem is, if you are out and about or on the other side of the cities. Things would pop off without notice. One time on my way home, a protest blocking the freeway left me taking a new route I normally never take.

That's why the grab and go bag. I do carry an extra Mag or Two in the vehicle, but I want to have it all nice and handy.

I like that holster you have, it would be nice having it strapped right across my chest like that. Doesn't look like it would be uncomfortable either.

Thank you!

Reactions: Powerman

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
This has been an interesting year. Living in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis, it's been on thing after anothe
Well... ain't THAT the truth.
I lived in Portland up until Oct 31, 2020 and had to maintain extreme awareness at all times.. it's exhausting and I'm so glad to be outta there. My daily load-out has become much lighter as a result.

Reactions: Powerman

·
22,003 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Check out RDR gear. I have one of their chest rigs and 2 placards from headon tactical. One for AR mags and one for APC9 mags. Both Velcro backed so I can just swap them out depending on what I’m carrying. And the placards can go on my plate carrier or a harness. Headon has a pretty long wait time but more than worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out RDR gear. I have one of their chest rigs and 2 placards from headon tactical. One for AR mags and one for APC9 mags. Both Velcro backed so I can just swap them out depending on what I’m carrying. And the placards can go on my plate carrier or a harness. Headon has a pretty long wait time but more than worth it.

Wow, thank you! I am checking out the site now. Looks like nice stuff, and reasonable prices.

Reactions: Gigantore

·
Registered
29,679 Posts

I've got a couple of these for different rifles...it’s pretty handy, and stows well. Also quicker to throw on than a chest rig...

·
16,345 Posts

View attachment 830150

View attachment 830151
Nice SOCOM. Looms like mine...

Reactions: Gigantore

·
16,345 Posts
Wow I like that! I have so many alien gear holsters. I don't have one like that, I should seriously look into that.

This has been an interesting year. Living in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis, it's been on thing after another. The problem is, if you are out and about or on the other side of the cities. Things would pop off without notice. One time on my way home, a protest blocking the freeway left me taking a new route I normally never take.

That's why the grab and go bag. I do carry an extra Mag or Two in the vehicle, but I want to have it all nice and handy.

I like that holster you have, it would be nice having it strapped right across my chest like that. Doesn't look like it would be uncomfortable either.

Thank you!
Ya, if you need storage, thats different.i like your idea of hidable with gear... A little more incognito.

I got my holster for woods carry. Out hunting, not getting hung up. But obviously I can put a coat over it in town too. I have another, and I can take off strap and use clips for OWB. So ya, just holster. II llike all the purses.... Sorry, gear bags... Yoy guys are showing. 😂

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
For a grab-bag - especially for something fitting the "get home" scenario - my preference is for bags that are not overtly "tactical." In situations of social unrest, my main plan would be to blend-in as much as possible. While I believe that overt gear has its place, being able to navigate under-the-radar through a throng of protesters or even violent rioters - avoiding conflict if at all possible - in my view is the best way to fulfill the "get home" mission.

Two of Paul Howe's Panteao Productions' Make Ready videos, "Civilian Response to Active Shooters" and "Vehicle Defense," covers his selection criteria for civilian vehicle-based "get home bags," as well as how he stages them.

They're a bit dated, but if you can get them for under $15, I'd say it's worth the price (and don't forget the unmatched "Combat Mindset" segment; that's worth it, at any price).

A lot of mid-grade and high-grade modern sporting/hiking bags are built very tough, and sometimes the only thing that separates them from their "tactical" sisters/cousins are simply colorways and a few bands of MOLLE. Mystery Ranch, Karrimor SF, and Kifaru, for example, while all offering military/hunting bags, also offer feature-rich and extremely sturdily built bags that appear much more "civilian." If these are too pricy, Paul Howl's recommendations of shopping for durable consumer-grade sporting bags and inspecting them first-hand for features should be taken to-heart. [ The flip side of this argument is that "military chic" is a real thing these days, and everything from camouflage to "laser cut MOLLE panels" are now featured on everything from sporting goods to kids' school-packs. One can very reasonably argue that as long as you don't go overboard (i.e. are toting around an obvious gun-bag), no-one will necessarily give such bags a second look. ]

In terms of on-body gear, again, I'd again choose to be discrete. Reputable low-profile Level IIIA soft-armor aren't cheap, but many will be nearly unnoticeable under a relaxed-fit shirt. Similarly, a reputable set of Level IV hard armor plates can be low-profile enough, with the right carrier, to all but disappear under the ubiquitous hoodie or sweatshirt.

Realistically, I want my "get home" gear to as much as possible be complimentary to my EDC gear. In so much a PCC or PDW may really turn the tide when in a bad way, I think it's much more likely that if I were in such a dire situation, I likely would not have carried sufficient ammo (in my "get home bag") to shoot my way out, even with a long-gun. I'd much rather devote that space and weight towards medical, potable water, foul-weather clothing/sleeping/shelter solutions, and high-energy non-spoilable food.

------

Sorry for straying off-topic. 😅

Going back on-topic....

^ This bit of history remains among my favorite "concealable" chest-harness system.

That said, as you can see, it is just a load-bearing system - no armor capabilities.

Many modern carriers like the First Spear Slick or the LBT Slick Plate Carrier can be paired with various single-stack chest carriers or items like the Vertex/Unity Clutch to make for a very low-profile kit. Similarly, low-pro carriers like the Ferro Slickster or Shellback Low-Vis will offer you the ability to use more traditional placard systems, which you can deploy from within your go-bag.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I've got a couple of these for different rifles...it’s pretty handy, and stows well. Also quicker to throw on than a chest rig...
Not that expensive either. How long have you had it, can it hold Mpul 40?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 29 Posts