Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the group. I took my new XD 40 Service to the range today and was very pleased. It perfomed great, no faiures. I only shot hardball (win. white box, 180grn). I plan to take it bac to the range with a variety of other ammo. It seemed to shoot to the left at 25 yards, though. It could very well hve been me, but if it isn't, is there a device like Glock's that I can use to adjust the rear sight with or will I have ton use a brass rod or something like that? Its a great gun. Thanks for the reply, Pat.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pat :D

Here is a chart that may help you figure out your shooting problem.

http://wmporter.com/targets/correction_chart color center.html

I would also suggest shooting at a much closer distance if at all possible. 25 yards is a long ways off for even a expert shooter. Try 7 to 10 yards and see how it goes. Practice alot and have fun too.

Good luck and be safe.

Post your XD questions on the regular XD talk section. You will get more responses down there. :eek:

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
Do what I do when I think my sights are bad on a pistol have the range master or a similarly experienced "good shot" shoot it and see if it does the same for him.

I once thought my XD was broken because my shots were in a 3" grouping and down and to the left. When I let the rangemaster shoot it, he got it down to 1 1/2" group and on center. The problem was me. Double check that you aren't the problem before you change the sights.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sandbag that gun. I almost always sight a new gun in over a solid rest. Once your sure the sights are right then you can work on your form.

mcb

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm a LEO Firearms Instructor and I zero at 25 yds, anything closer in and point of impact deviations from point of aim get too small to be useful. Use a benchrest and sandbags, meaning your forearms and hands are supported, and shoot five-shot groups.
Move the rear sight in the direction you want your shot group to go. Or, move the front sight opposite the direction you want your shot group to go. Having said that, the Glock sight pusher at our range doesn't work with the XD slide. So it's back to the trusty old hammer and brass punch. Couldn't move the rear sight on my new XD9 even after leaving it in the range freezer for one hour, so I used the punch on the front sight, which moved but with difficulty. That's good.
I'm happy to zero other cops' guns when they ask, but I always have them shoot it after I zero, because sometimes my zero and the cop's zero is way different (one time, a 6-inch difference!) which is a result of different eyeballs, different glasses, different stances, etc.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the replies. I plan to take it to the range tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a sandbag. I'll let you all know how it went.

PV

·
Registered
83 Posts
First couple of times I shot my XD 40 sub I was a little low and to the left. With my other XD's I'm money. I figured it was because of the shorter barrel and stuff. I took it to the range yesterday and even if it was me, I wasnt going to have a gun I couldnt shoot straight. First 100 rounds never went outside the 9 ring. I changed up my grip and decided to keep it 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took my XD40 4" to he range yesterday, shot from a rest, still slightly left rom point of aim. I will put a few hundred more rounds down range with different ammo to see what happens befor I change the sights. Pistol performed perfect, no problems yet. I like this pistol :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts