Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my first few trips to the range with my XD, which is my first handgun, I've been really pleased with my shooting with one exception. Though I could group within 2.5 inches at 10 yards, I consistantly shoot an inch or two left of the target. After thinking things through I realized my problem; I'm left eye dominant but right handed. So I've been sighting up my target with my left eye which is pushing everything off to the left. So started sighting up with my right eye. I no longer shoot to the left, but my right eye sight is so bad, my aim is all over the place. Some of my shooting buddies are suggesting that I should shoot with both eyes open. What is the advantage of that? I always found it hard to focus with both eyes open. So should I take their advice or should I continue working on improving my shot through my right eye? Any feedback is appreaciated!

·
Registered
889 Posts
This wouldn't do you much good for self defenese shooting, but if you are just target shooting, try putting some scotch tape on your shooting glasses over your left eye. You will still be able to see, but it forces your right eye focus a little better.
Or, I have a friend that just taught himself to shoot left handed.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've always been taught to keep both eyes open.. Mainly for ease of acquiring/maintaining your target if it is moving. If you close one eye not only do you lose your depth perception but you're effectively blind on half of your body... It can be difficult to find the focus on the front sight, but once I have it I don't really have much of a problem keeping it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Shooting with both eyes open is usually done for defense purposes associated with point shooting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try shooting left handed if your left eye dominant. My daughter who never shot before I took her, is right eye dominant and left handed, same as me. I startred her off shooting right handed. At first she said it felt strange, but I kept her shooting right handed. After about an hour she said it felt normal. If your new to shooting a handgun, this might help you in the long run. When I worked for one of the local ranges, I had many people, opposite eyed shooters, and after talking to "most" of them and had them change to shooting which ever dominant eyed they were, they shot better and even commented who much easier it was. just a thought, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I use the scotch tape trick and it works very well. Keeping both eyes open allows you to have peripheral vision and a sense of depth/distance. Your splits will go up greatly if you can shoot with both eyes open.

Put on your glasses and look in the mirror. Make your hands like you are shooting freestyle and have your eyes focusing on your fingers. Now, while in this position, take a piece of tape .5" long and cover your left eye. You should be able to see normal, however when you are shooting, the scotch tape will come into play. You won't ever notice it is there.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
huh? I dont open either eye, I find that when I shoot with both eyes open or even one eye, I tend to see my misses.

Im left eye dominant and I shoot with both eyes open ad do just fine.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You should shoot with both eyes open because if you ever need to use your gun and you close one eye you will only be able to see down the sights, you wont see anything happening around you.

Also, if you draw your gun you probably wont have time to close one eye and line up.

Just pull and line it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have always shot with both eyes open, with both pistols, unscoped rifles, and rifles with reflex sights on them. I also alternate which hand I shoot with every mag with pistols. At first it felt really weird, but now it is normal.
I would just start practicing with both eyes open, and if your left eye is extremely dominant over your right, then practice the hell out of shooting left handed.
Good luck man,
IJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find that if I shoot with both eyes open it releaves eye strain. My trouble is that I'm left handed but right eye dominate. This is really frustrating!! DonL

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm cross-dominant, but I really don't want to shoot left-handed. So here's what I've done so far.

I tried cocking my head to shoot with my left eye, but it seems that having your left eye work with your right finger is not a good solution. They don't communicate as well as the same-side hand and eye.

So, I took my wife's $1 Nintendo gun, sat on the couch, and just sighted around the apartment with my right eye. Almost like doing push-ups, I just kept sighting in, putting it down, sighting in, putting it down. After that, I was able to shoot with my weak eye. I'm still grouping ever-so-slightly left, but at self-defense ranges the error is meaningless.

Also, I found that I can half-close my left eye, which is to say, I let the lid fall into a relaxed position so that the left eye can still see big shapes but it loses dominance on the gun. I'm not saying that's right, but it's worked pretty well for me. When I shoot IPSC-style targets in pistol workshops, I can hit center mass reliably.

A long-range pistolero I will never be. But within the ranges at which I have to operate with a handgun, (my home) I'm a precise shooter. As for the outside ranges... well, I have to go buy a long-gun.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i was told by a member of the army marksmanship unit to switch shooting hands to match my dominant eye since I am cross dominant. This doesn't work for me though because my rifle's pistol grip is made for right handers. BOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good stuff! Thanks for all the feed back. I did some dry fire practice earlier today with both eyes open and I'm not sure if I will ever be able get used to it. This is my first pistol but I've been shooting pellet guns since I was nine so I'm pretty trained on holding in my right hand. When I shoot with my left eye I'm on a little off the target, so I'm not concerned about defense shooting, but I'm more interested in target shooting. I plan on trying the trick with the tape over the glasses. Is that just a temporary fix, or will it help train me to focus with both eye open, thanks a lot.

And here's an example of how I do with my left eye doing all the sighting...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Using both eyes is not easy first time, but once you get used to it, it is good. The reason behind practicing with both eyes open is because in SHTF sitation, your physiological reaction would be to have both eyes open more often than one eye closed.

So go on and keep practicing. It will be acquired eventually.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I shoot with both eyes closed so there's always a suprise when I open them!

I'm right handed and left eye dominate so I tilt my head to compensate. I will practice with both eyes open but that leaves me focusing on either the sights or the target as double vision will result if I try both.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Palmetto said:
I'm right handed and left eye dominate so I tilt my head to compensate.
Ditto. Except reversed because I am LH / RE. I found that by slightly changing my stance and tilting my head, I can sight down with my right eye without a problem. After a bit of practice, it feels natural to me now. I shoot with both eyes open, as I find that I shoot better that way than if I close one eye.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Old School said:
Put on your glasses and look in the mirror. Make your hands like you are shooting freestyle and have your eyes focusing on your fingers. Now, while in this position, take a piece of tape .5" long and cover your left eye. You should be able to see normal, however when you are shooting, the scotch tape will come into play. You won't ever notice it is there.

can you explain this a lilttle better please maybe a pic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts