Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been too busy with work and haven't been able to get to the range, so I came up with a way to get some trigger time with my XD at home. I loaded my resized .40 cal cases with home made wax bullets and powered them with small magnum rifle primers. They work great, are accurate within a reasonable distance (results forthcoming), and the report is quiet, no more than that of a cap gun! We're only using a primer so the XD won't cycle, and the rounds have to be loaded one at a time. I can hit a soda can consistantly at 25 ft. and after 2 hits the bullet will go through and lodge inside. Clean up is a breeze, just brush a couple of times and swab the wax out. It's a great way to work on your hand and trigger control, and a lot of fun popping targets in the privacy of your own garage. Has anyone else tried this with their XD?

gv2shooter

· Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I used to do this all the time, but it takes to long to make them, for the same time I can just reload real stuff. Now I use some bugarian training ammo that has a plastic bullet with a BB in it. It wont cycle the pistol but it does the same thing in my backyard.

· Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Ajames what's the name and where do you get the training ammo with the bb I'd like to try it.

· Premium Member
7,148 Posts
9mmPara
I will see if I still have that post saved, I dont know if it was mine you were refuring to by I did a post or two about it. And if not I just bought a new digital camera so I have an excusse to wring it in.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Making wax bullets is simple, safe and cheap. I'm just trying to suggest a option to shoot your XD in your backyard or your garage. I don't know if there are heavy metal compounds to be concerned about, and even though plastic practice bullets are available, these are cheaper, and I don't have to collect them after a shooting session. Make a wax bar about 1/2" thick, and cookie-cut bullets using a resized case. Make sure the case mouth is sealed with wax and you have what looks like a perfect wad cutter. Next prime the case with any primer that fits. I'm trying CCI Magnum rifle primers, and they work just fine. Give them a try, I bet you'll like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.