Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been too busy with work and haven't been able to get to the range, so I came up with a way to get some trigger time with my XD at home. I loaded my resized .40 cal cases with home made wax bullets and powered them with small magnum rifle primers. They work great, are accurate within a reasonable distance (results forthcoming), and the report is quiet, no more than that of a cap gun! We're only using a primer so the XD won't cycle, and the rounds have to be loaded one at a time. I can hit a soda can consistantly at 25 ft. and after 2 hits the bullet will go through and lodge inside. Clean up is a breeze, just brush a couple of times and swab the wax out. It's a great way to work on your hand and trigger control, and a lot of fun popping targets in the privacy of your own garage. Has anyone else tried this with their XD?

gv2shooter

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I used to do this all the time, but it takes to long to make them, for the same time I can just reload real stuff. Now I use some bugarian training ammo that has a plastic bullet with a BB in it. It wont cycle the pistol but it does the same thing in my backyard.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Ajames what's the name and where do you get the training ammo with the bb I'd like to try it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
about a year or two ago, someone posted the method of making wax bullets here. unforunately that got lost during the hacker's rampage. Nice to know that someone reminded me of this alternative.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
9mmPara
I will see if I still have that post saved, I dont know if it was mine you were refuring to by I did a post or two about it. And if not I just bought a new digital camera so I have an excusse to wring it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
personally, i'd be real leery of setting off primers in a closed garage. heavy metal compounds all over everything...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Making wax bullets is simple, safe and cheap. I'm just trying to suggest a option to shoot your XD in your backyard or your garage. I don't know if there are heavy metal compounds to be concerned about, and even though plastic practice bullets are available, these are cheaper, and I don't have to collect them after a shooting session. Make a wax bar about 1/2" thick, and cookie-cut bullets using a resized case. Make sure the case mouth is sealed with wax and you have what looks like a perfect wad cutter. Next prime the case with any primer that fits. I'm trying CCI Magnum rifle primers, and they work just fine. Give them a try, I bet you'll like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts