Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Took my Xd-9 ported to the range again. Shooting 115 fmj winchester ammo.
I read a couple online techniques for shooting. No limp wristing and I'm squeezing the trigger evenly using the first pad or first joint of the index finger. etc etc

I consistently hit like crud. Always to the right and always a little low. I started aiming my POA on the target insted of right below it like the xd manual says and It hits pretty even now so that's fixed but..... I have to concentrate really hard to hit pretty straigt on. If i do not take my time and relax i will hit to the right. Now, all that makes sense but i can not take 10 seconds to shoot if an intruder enters the house. I'm just curious if this is bad technique or does the pistol also aim to the right. I mean i have to really concentrate to hit straight and i can not honestly tell you what it is i'm doing to make the difference.

I know this is no 22 but i can shoot my 22 six shooter and plink cans at 25 yards easy.

Any technique advice for a 9mm newbie?

Thanks,

·
Registered
359 Posts
Maybe you're milking the grip, that is, squeezing the grip at the same time you're squeezing the trigger. This is a kind of flinch, your body preparing for recoil. I catch myself doing this at the range every so often. It usually takes some dry fire practice with snap caps to cure. Try to isolate your trigger finger from the rest of your hand when practicing.

-stunks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use a firm high hand grip. The point here is to get rid of as much muscle tension as possible. Also hold the pistol so that it is comfortable for you. A good friend of mine was watchin me shoot a couple of weeks ago, before the afternoon was done I was shooting 1/4 inch shots at 25 yrds, but before I was shooting 1 to 1 1/2 inch shot groups and all over the page.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Is it just with your XD that your shooting lousy?? How do you shoot w/ other guns 9mm and up?

Have someone that is a good shot(like the rangemaster) throw a few rounds down range and see how it ends up.

Sounds like you might be pulling your gun with the trigger finger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i might have been squeezing the grip too hard trying to not limp wrist. I'll have to try again this weekend. Thanks for the tips!!

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I've been shooting a long time and still find that every now & then I start shooting to the right. In fact, it happened a few weeks ago. I then used a rest to shoot from and only found that I was more consistently to the right. Then, I noticed that my trigger finger had migrated to the first joint, instead of the first pad (where it usually is). I changed that and all was well again. Point being, it didn't seem like I was doing anything different than I had been doing for years and years. Just an old bad habit crept into my shooting game again. Since I've been doing this a while, I started going through a mental checklist and found the culprit pretty quickly. You can probably get someone who knows what they're doing (like the other suggested rangemaster) to watch you and see if they notice anything. But beware of those that have little experience and a lot to say. They can end up having you change all sorts of things where you end up looking like your playing a game of twister or you look like Ricky Retardo on range day. I've seen them really hose folks up bad.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think the other member got it right when he said you were "milking" the grip. Dry fire practice with this pistol is probably in order. Get some snap caps if you are nervouse about dry firing on an empty chamber. After some dry firing you may get a little better grip/trigger finger coordination and find that you are hitting centered. You could also try firing a double action only gun for a while and then going to the XD. I tried this recently and found my scores improved right away. Double action helps you with this type of coordination and results in better groups.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The obvious thing to me might be that your gun just throws that particular kind of ammo to the right. It happens. I agree, let someone else try shooting it and see if its windage is off for them too with that load.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fortunately, the rangemaster took some time with me. Explained how to properly grip and slow trigger squeeze. He took the time to fire my weapon for me. Used my weapon, my ammo. Then my weapon, his ammo. Produced good groups with each. Then he turns and asks me if I could figure out what the problem factor must have been. That only left ME!!

Funny incident, patient rangemaster, helped me focus my attention on what I was doing.

Result: Came out of the range with X's, 10's, and a couple of 9's. Really boosted my confidence in the XD and my marksmanship. Stick with it, it's probably not the pistol.

PG

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts