Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself only an average shot with a handgun. And I am a lefty. Every handgun I own has shot to the right out of the box. After adjusting the sights I am good to go. But I am wondering if it is me. Seems like a coincidence that ALL of them shoot to the right. I am talking about 3-4 inchs to the right at 10 yards. Any opinions

·
Registered
373 Posts
Which eye is dominant for you? I had a buddy who was eye opposite hand dominant (ex. right hand, left eye) and he had trouble consistently shooting left of the target. Essentially he wasn't lining up the sights correctly. Just a thought. When other people shoot your guns do they shoot straight?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Look to the placement of your finger on the trigger. A good starting point is halfway between the first joint and the center of the pad. Another thing that will help is dry fire practice with snap caps, watch what happens to your sigth picture as you pull the trigger. What you want to see is no movement at any point in the stroke of the trigger. What you will probably see is the sights being pulled right. Experiment with you finger position until you see a minimum of "drift" and then practice with your finger in that position until your steady. Then practice some more. BTW, if you have a double action revolver, practice with that will really speed up your improvement because anyone who learns trigger control in double action can shoot anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What scooter said. A tighter grip (don't try to break the thing though!) with both hands will help reduce the movement of your other fingers besides the trigger finger which should help your trigger squeeze smooth out AND reduce the amount of firearm movement off the target during the squeeze itself.

Good Luck and Dry Fire ALOT!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I'm in the same boat...take a look at this thread. Short answer: I'm working on my grip/trigger and trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open. I need to highlight my front post tho'...would be easier to pickup if a bright yellow or orange.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm right handed and usually shoot to the left. It has something to do with the way I anticipate the shot. When I consciously avoid the jerking I shoot pretty straight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was shooting a little low and to the left. Had a freind watch me, turns out i had a very slight angle to the way i was shooting. (gun was not being held perfectly plumb). Just enough to through me off a little.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Look to the placement of your finger on the trigger. A good starting point is halfway between the first joint and the center of the pad. Another thing that will help is dry fire practice with snap caps, watch what happens to your sigth picture as you pull the trigger. What you want to see is no movement at any point in the stroke of the trigger. What you will probably see is the sights being pulled right. Experiment with you finger position until you see a minimum of "drift" and then practice with your finger in that position until your steady. Then practice some more. BTW, if you have a double action revolver, practice with that will really speed up your improvement because anyone who learns trigger control in double action can shoot anything.
+1 on what scooter123 said. I will add one thing when if you fix everything mentioned above and it still does it there is there is one more thing to fix. Some shooters have sympathy grip. This is where as you squeeze the trigger you also slightly squeeze your hand. When manipulating the trigger think "press straight back" and no other fingers should move. Keep your grip consistent all around and solid (not over tight not wimpy loose) this will help with the tendency to try and "hold on" and squeeze the gun to one side or another just before you fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts