Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM new to CC a wheel gun, my S&W BG 38 should hopefully be here this week and a question popped up. Do I need to run a certain amount of SD in it, I under the need for a auto to see if it feeds well, but a revolver is obviously different. Maybe the only reason to run it with SD is to get accustom to the recoil? Thanks for any thoughts on this you guys!!

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Find a load that performs well out of the snubs, and load her up. Run enough through your gun to see how it performs, and how you react with it.

Good article here.
http://www.snubnose.info/docs/Theory.htm

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The answer to your question is "it depends".

Specifically, it depends on whether you can find a practice ammo that matches your SD choice for both Power level and Bullet Weight.

As for why it matters, if you are carrying with a 125 grain hollowpoint in +P and practice with a 130 grain standard pressure 38 spl. there is a notable difference in both recoil and Point of Impact relative to the sights.

On a positive note, Speer offers companion practice rounds in the Lawman line. Bad news is that 38 spl. +P Lawman can be pretty difficult to come by unless you work for a large metropolitan Police Force, what gets down to the aftermarket is basically overruns of an order placed by a large LEO agency. Quite simply, just because it's listed on Speers web site it doesn't mean you can actually find it in a local gunshop or even order it online.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I would check out the .38+p gold dot short barrel load. Item# 23921. Been out for a few years now and from what I have read, performs as advertised. Speer designed these loads from the ground up for snubbies and sub-compact autos. Plus you can use the lawman range rounds for training as they are loaded to match the gold dots.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I JUST picked up two boxes of hronady CD 38spl 110gr. I'll see how these go for now but I'll pick up some Speer at the LGS that I know has them as they are closed today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts