Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have been cruising the forum since I found it last week. Lot's of good information and advice.
I have owned my XD for a little over a week now. Until today I was consistently shooting low-left. I pulled a couple of targets off this site and learned that tightening my fingers was partly to blame.

XD9 Service

Here is a target from 11/12. You can see I was shooting low-left. I was gripping the pistol loosely and tightening as I would squeeze the trigger.

Here is a target from today. I added a Hogue grip which helped my grip a good bit. There is some improvement. The shots that are on the horizontal line left are in the too little trigger finger zone.

What is "too little trigger finger"?

Thanks ahead of time for the help. You guys have a very nice forum here!!

David

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the XD! I'm new here myself (just been spending lots of time on the board). The top target looks like most of mine as I have a tendency to pull left and it seems that nothing I do changes it. As to what is "too little trigger finger", beats the heck out of me...but nice improvement!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Welcome to the forums Reddog

Here's a good chart to help diagnose this sort of thing - http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

Most of this is a combination of a few things and I suspect the majority of it is trigger control ... Remember to squeeze the trigger slow and even, it should actually be a surprise when it goes bang.

Eventually muscle memory will allow for much faster shooting while retaining accuracy ... Take your time and enjoy.

Also, if you haven't seen it, read this ... It's very good and is worth reading again and again. THE BASICS OF MARKSMANSHIP - Part 1 and Part 2

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
"Too little trigger finger" refers to having not enough of your fingerpad on the trigger. Some like to use the crook of the first joint, most use the fingerpad.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
My particular shooting error tends to left and low-left as well.

Here are a few things that helped me bring my rounds back to the middle.

First was that I wasn't focusing on the front sight as I shot. My eyes tended to go to the target as the shot was fired, and that tended to pull things left for me (that's where my eyes tended to be on the target, and you'll tend to put shots where you're looking).

Second, I wasn't gripping solidly enough. Not the right hand so much (I'm righthanded), but the left support-hand. Gripping more solidly really brought things back to the center.

Brian Enos has a book called Practical Shooting. Besides being a stunning treatise on the mental game of shooting (and if you've never studied the mental game in another sport, it may be a difficult concept to absorb), it's an interesting book on mechanics.

Among other things, Enos notes how he experimented to find the ways in which he could perform the best. Things like trigger-finger placement and grip are, to some extent, idiosyncratic. People with larger hands and/or longer fingers will have to do things a bit differently than people with small hands and/or shorter fingers.

Some of my searching for answers has involved experimentation with trigger-finger placement. I've tried more, less, variations on a theme until I found a placement that seems to produce consistent results.

Other than the basics (two hands, for example), much of shooting is finding out what works best for *you*.

Good luck, and welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts