Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my xd since christmas and it shoots great but I have a problem with aiming right on and hitting left.. so I took a couple of the targets http://wmporter.com/targets/correction_chart color center.html
to the range and hit a quite a bit of red but also hit "to little finger" and "tighten fingers".. are these fixes as easy as they sound?? i feel like ive got a pretty tight grip on the gun and my fingers fit well but any advice is very welcome.. im not sure how to correct this the right way..I have been aiming a little off the the right and hitting my mark but I know thats not the way to fix the problem.. thanks for the help..

·
Registered
758 Posts
The best way to see what you are doing is go buy some snap caps, load one or two into your mag at random points, and then shoot. You will see exactly what you are doing when it goes click and not bang.

Another way, but not as good, is to just shoot a few mags, then dry fire it once. You will ba amazed at how much you move.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
icon
I have been aiming a little off the the right and hitting my mark but I know thats not the way to fix the problem..
What you are practicing is known as "Kentucky Windage" and it's not the way to go as you already know. Have you tried shooting from a rest? or have someone else that is good with pistols try to shoot yours? If the shots are still off, then you will need to carefully drift your sight over to the left. This should get you back in black 8)

Good luck, shoot safe.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
For me, I was making two mistakes.. number one, I was gripping the pistol too tight. I had basically a death grip on the thing, and that was causing me to pull down and left.. Second, I was putting the white dot below the targets center.. this was causing me to shoot low consistently.

I have tried to correct these two issues by adjusting my grip from the "tea-cup in a saucer" type grip (which feels so natural, but yields poor results,) to a "wrapping" kind of a grip with my right hand gripping firmly, and left wrapped over my right.. left index finger extended... and covering the center of the target with the white dot.

I have pretty much solved the pulling to the left issue, My shots are still low though.. it's annoying, but I will get it. I just need to shoot a lot more bullets.. work, work, work.. this hobby sure is taxing! lol

Raymond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts