Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot their protection ammo or just save it? I like to fire off a few each time I go shooting(desert, not range) just because. Although I think they feel a lil different compared to the target ammo that I use. Am I just crazy or is it a good idea to not just fire target ammo all the time?

I guess this should be in the ammo section, my bad.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes I do, it's the only way to know if it will reliably feed and function in your particular weapon!!!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I fire off at least a mag per carry gun at each range visit.
My carry ammo is +P, so it is a little different to shoot than my target ammo.
I'm more accurate with my +P ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It shouldn't really matter if you fire just one or both. Although you should probably get a defensive ammo that is the same grain as you target ammo that way they have the same feel.

You also want to make sure you shoot your defensive ammo enough that you know its not going to cause a problem in your gun and its reliable. Just because others like it doesn't mean your gun will.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I will usually prove that a given brand is reliable in my gun and then not shoot much of it after that. I will, however, after months of re-chambering the same round, shoot off the one round that has been chambered numerous times, so that I have a more 'fresh' round in the chamber. This is primarily so that I won't have issues with the the bullet getting pressed more tightly in the brass.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok glad Im not crazy, was talking guns at work and mentioned I fire different types of ammo. A couple wanna-be know it all's(who never owned a gun) said was just wasting money doing so.

Is it ok at ranges typically, I swear that last time I was at the range there was a sign about not using hollow point type ammo.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
I usually shoot off the magazine in my carry gun when I go to the range, reload with my spare, and then charge the empty with fresh carry ammo.

This probably comes out to a fresh magazine every month or two. It keeps my mind at ease that it still functions well, still shoots to point of aim, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
At the CCW class I just took the instructors recommended rotating your carry ammo every 6 months. Basically, shoot thru the old stuff and replace it once in awhile. Makes sense to me. I know ammo is good for years and years, but if you can afford to replace it periodically I see no reason not to, plus as others said above it's good to know how your gun will handle with the carry ammo.

The instructors also recommended testing 200 rounds of any potential carry ammo thru your carry gun before deciding to carry that ammo. Same would go for a home personal defense gun and ammo. Good protection ammo is expensive but it's far better to know it works with your gun before you have to rely on it in a life-or-death situation.

Some ranges forbid hollow points, but I think it's rare. If your range forbids it, check with them to see if they'll make an exception for you if you need to test good carry ammo in your gun. If it's just a safety concern they could always assign a range officer to watch while you do it, or ask that you only shoot it while the range is otherwise empty if they're concerned about fragments/shrapnel from the HPs.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I run at least 6 or 8 clips of a defensive load thru my carry gun before I carry that load in it.Then I shoot and replace the ammo I carry twice a year or so ,that way I always have fresh ammo in my clips. I just changed my carry ammo to Glaser Pow'RBall from 180Gr. Hydrashocks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shoot 100 rounds of any ammo I intend to carry to ensure proper function, then rotate through my stock on a regular basis. I typically have several hundred rounds of my carry ammo on hand, by using it over time I remain accustomed to firing +P carry ammo in addition to the cheap FMJ I use for target practice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The instructors also recommended testing 200 rounds of any potential carry ammo thru your carry gun before deciding to carry that ammo. Same would go for a home personal defense gun and ammo. Good protection ammo is expensive but it's far better to know it works with your gun before you have to rely on it in a life-or-death situation.

That rules out Extreme Shock and other fancy ammunition. :)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
no kiddin. how is everyone affording 200 rounds of defense ammo??? That crap is expensive

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I fire off at least a mag per carry gun at each range visit.
My carry ammo is +P, so it is a little different to shoot than my target ammo.
I'm more accurate with my +P ammo.
I do this too, at the end of a range trip. It lets you know what to expect when firing SD ammo.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
200 rounds of my current carry ammo is just under $150.

I figure my life is worth $150. You may feel differently about yours.
Bingo ... 200 rounds is pretty darn cheap, if your life might depend on it.

Myself, I cycle the defensive stuff at about a 4-6 month interval.
I shoot off the loaded chamber round after it has been chambered a few times ... Then continue with target stuff, and upon return to ready replace the top round with a fresh one.

A poor description, but eventually the magazine is refreshed top to bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe that you should run defensive ammo through whatever pistol you're going to carry, so you know it works. But, I'm not sold on the argument of it needing to be 200+ rounds.

Yes, my life might depend on it, but if I run only 100 rounds of Gold Dots through my pistol, using every mag that I have for it, and get no malfunctions, I'm probably GTG. Six months down the road, after several practice sessions with FMJs, I'll shoot all my carry ammo again and replace it with fresh HPs. That way, I'm testing my carry pistol with defensive ammo on regular basis, and at the same time not going broke on half a case of HPs at a time.

Also, I don't carry +P or any other super-duper loads. A decent HP bullet, in a standard for caliber weight that feeds 100% and shoots accurately is all I need. This also helps with the fact that practice ammo recoils, sounds and shoots very close to the ammo that I carry.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've fired about 75 rds of Federal JHP through my 40 and I'm content that it will function when I need it to...I've never had a FTF or FTE with any ammo I've used...(knock on wood)...I have 4 mags and they are all loaded with Federal JHP I can't see why I would need more than that...if SHTF I've got 1000rds of ball ammo ready to go...

But like others have said you do need to cycle through your old JHPs about twice a year...

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
200 rounds of my current carry ammo is just under $150.

I figure my life is worth $150. You may feel differently about yours.
Mine is worth $ 20,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!! Millions and Billions and Zillions!

... but I still don't have 200 to blow away on a whim. :cry:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts