Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mosin Nagant= $155
1080 rounds surplus ammo= $240
Shooting 66 year old ammo from a 69 year old rifle= Priceless. and fun as he!!:D
Shooting at a silhouette target at 50 yards. Was on target except for a few flyers. Shot about 20 or 30 rounds. Most of it was only thirty or forty years old.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed the same thing you posted yesterday. The patches keep coming out dirty no matter how many times I do it.:evil: So I gave up. As long as it shoots, and doesn't rust I'm happy.

I did notice the sticky bolt problem that I read about. Took the bolt completely down and cleaned the heck out of it. Have to wait and see if it's fixed.
Had that problem?

·
Registered
671 Posts
The mosin nagant is awesome. I have two sitting in the safe. I would suggest picking up a slip on rubber pad if you haven't already...makes shooting a little more bearable.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I've noticed the same thing you posted yesterday. The patches keep coming out dirty no matter how many times I do it.:evil: So I gave up. As long as it shoots, and doesn't rust I'm happy.

I did notice the sticky bolt problem that I read about. Took the bolt completely down and cleaned the heck out of it. Have to wait and see if it's fixed.
Had that problem?

I don't think sticky bolt is the bolt its self as much as the lock up part of the receiver. the ammo I have doesn't like to chamber after a few shots so it takes some tough lovin' to get it in and and a strong pimp hand to lock it up.

I have cleaned it many times. I have tried lube. I just dunno about this rifle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mosin nagant is awesome. I have two sitting in the safe. I would suggest picking up a slip on rubber pad if you haven't already...makes shooting a little more bearable.
Yeah I got one. Forgot it. Shot anyway. Was worth it.

I don't think sticky bolt is the bolt its self as much as the lock up part of the receiver. the ammo I have doesn't like to chamber after a few shots so it takes some tough lovin' to get it in and and a strong pimp hand to lock it up.

I have cleaned it many times. I have tried lube. I just dunno about this rifle.
Yeah I cleaned the receiver and where the bolt attaches real well too. The first time I had it out and it started to stick, a guy shooting with us said it was a military rifle. Treat it like one and rack it with authority.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Here's what you do. While the gun is still hot, liberally soak a patch with Hoppes No. 9 and run it down the barrel. Do the same for the chamber. Put some No. 9 on a barrel brush and scrub the crap out of the barrel. Use a 9mm barrel brush (e.g. the crappy one that comes with an XD handgun) to scrub the crap out of the chamber. Soak another patch with No. 9 and run it down the barrel again and swab out the receiver. Run maybe 5 or 6 clean patches through the barrel. Use a few to swab out the reciever. Squirt CLP down the barrel and in the chamber. Run maybe two or three clean patches through barrel and swab out the chamber. You should have no significant crud left on your last patch.

Had that problem?
I had the sticky bolt problem on mine. It has nothing to do with the bolt. It happens if the chamber has a layer of gummy cosmoline stuck to it. When you fire a bullet, the casing expands enough and the cosmoline heats up enough where the casing gets glued to the chamber. The extractor can't pull it out. To get the cosmoline out, you have to scrub out the chamber. One guy on YouTube uses a modified AR-15 chamber brush. I just use my 9mm brush with Hoppes No. 9 while the gun is still hot. It got rid of the problem. Now, my bolt cycles smoothly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paco,
I will have to try this when I take it out again.

·
Registered
17,758 Posts

Had that problem?
Thats only 1/2 the problem..the other 1/2 is the chamber...gotta get in there and remove burrs.

Good shooting...the Russian Man Cannon is a fun firearm to shoot!

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
The residual cosmoline can also make some rifles ammo-sensitive. Despite thorough chamber cleanings, my M44 absolutely hates lacquered Czech silver-tip, but it eats brass-cased Bulgarian and new-manufacture Brown and Silver Bear all day long. Some rifles just don't like some ammo.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I have to fight mine to get the silver tip to chamber.
So far I've had no problem with feeding. Did have a jam with the ammo. I racked with authority and the round wasn't seated. It jammed in the magazine and wouldn't budge. Took some work to get it out. I had loaded it just a little to far forward and it pushed down the round under it and stuck.
So far I've shot Chinese, Russian, and Russian military reloads. The reloads were the 66 year old stuff that I shot.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
...Did have a jam with the ammo. I racked with authority and the round wasn't seated. It jammed in the magazine and wouldn't budge. Took some work to get it out. I had loaded it just a little to far forward and it pushed down the round under it and stuck....
I get this when I try to load using a five-round clip. It is a real pain to clear the jam. I tried several sources for these clips, and they are all the same - junk. The best way to load is by hand, one-by-one. When you get the fifth round into the magazine, push down on it a little to make sure it isn't jammed before you close the bolt. BTW, there should be any need to "rack with authority" if the rifle is clean and working properly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get this when I try to load using a five-round clip. It is a real pain to clear the jam. I tried several sources for these clips, and they are all the same - junk. The best way to load is by hand, one-by-one. When you get the fifth round into the magazine, push down on it a little to make sure it isn't jammed before you close the bolt. BTW, there should be any need to "rack with authority" if the rifle is clean and working properly.
Yeah them were the operative words. Think I fixed that. Now to get out and shoot it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts