Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first SA product in May and went with the XDM 3.8 Compact in 9mm. So far I have been to the range a few times with it and have been pretty happy. I do notice that it (ok, probably ME!) tends to shoot a little low. Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps there is something I'm doing differently with this model? It doesn't matter if I am using the 19rd or 13rd magazine I still get the same result. I've used some different brands of ammunition but all were 115gr but I don't think that would be the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading quite a bit, this is a common problem for a lot of people when they get a new XDm/ XD. It is not the gun, the gun's accuracy is pretty right on.

Here are some links:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/174630-me-gun.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/172366-xd-45-not-shooting-straight.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/106566-xdm-shooting-left-so-looks-like-about-46-us-have-problem.html

Some people chalk it up tot he grip, some people chalk it up to the trigger pull. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it generally is not the gun. If I am remembering right, the grip is at a more natural angle which causes it as well. (the glock style grips require you to slightly angle your wrists down, the XD grips do not) I cannot speak from experience, as I have never owned a different gun, but I just thought I would throw the info up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My problem was that I would put the front sight post center mass because that's the sight picture I was taught in the military. Once I figured out that my XDM was set up for what they called a "pumpkin on a post" sight picture I did much better.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Normal for 1st time polymer gun shooters. Check out the listed threads (there's probably 100's more on the forum-it's asked about once a week) and get ready to do a lot of dry firing while watching for movement of the front sight. A little work and you will be on target.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My CCW instructor put 3 rounds in my xd and told me he put 4. I shot 3 off and then on the 4th shot I watched my gun dip down. *Facepalm. Then I went over to shoot the .22 and I had never shot one before. First shot off and I dipped low naturally. Lots of rounds and practice and concentration and I'm getting there slowly but surely.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
That's where you are pointing it. The XD shoots where you point it. Now if this was something like a Taurus....different story.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Had the same problem with my .40...was certain it was the gun :rolleyes: and as has been said...it shoots where you point it. In my case I found that it was the long trigger pull that was messin' with me. When I would get to the end of the take up on the trigger the muzzle was dropping. I tried and tried to get used to it but couldn't get the feel of the long trigger. Sent it in and had trigger job done and it hits where I want it to now...it was me, not the gun...go figure :rolleyes: lol

Lots of threads on here about the XD/XDM shooting low. Take some time and do some reading and practice pulling the trigger doing dry fires or live fire at the range and concentrate on the muzzle and you will get it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I don't know why they put a trigger pull with the length of pre-travel take up measured in multiple miles...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't know why they put a trigger pull with the length of pre-travel take up measured in multiple miles...
LMAO...for sure. This gun had the longest pre-travel on the trigger I think I have ever seen, had me convinced that the gun was jacked and was ready to sell it off and say forget it...j/k that would be like selling one of my kids, but you get the point! Trigger job did the trick for me and I could not be happier with how it shoots now!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I do not understand why you guys do not like the creep in the trigger. I mean you learn where the creep stops and the pistol fires. Im not putting anyone down about it, but these arnt bolt action pistols. :cool: Get a feel for the trigger travel..practice practice practice and soon you will be oblivious to the travel or creep. I know at what point mine will break, and do not fully let the trigger go back to the home position. When I feel it reset, then I am ready for the next shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts