Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my new XD .45 Compact today. I started with bench rest. Rounds were consistantly low left; same thing shooting off hand.

I used the 6 oclock aim point. What are the common errors I might be making to be consistently low left. How adjustable are the sights?

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
It's a common problem with people new to the XD. I can't remember what exactly the problem is, but if you do a search you should be able to find something. Other threads have targets you can shoot at that assist in diagnosing the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
You're moving the gun when you pull the trigger. Take a dime, stick it on the nose of the slide right by the front sight, and dry fire at a target a few times. MAKE SURE the chamber's empty, and the mag is out. When you can pull the trigger without moving the dime, you're good to go! Of course firing a real bullet is a little different, you might be anticipating the recoil a bit. Low and left is typical for nOObs, that's where my whole first mag went. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
950 Posts
When you pull the trigger make sure on the pad of your finger or in the first joint. When you shoot low left you need to work on your trigger pull like others have said. Also make sure you are not taking your eyes off of the front sight when you shoot. trying to look at your artwork and taking your eyes off the sight is another problem with inconsistencies. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
This may or may not help you..
It is for the right handed shooter..

http://www.is-lan.com/challenge/images/Pistol-Correction.pdf

But as stated it happens a lot for new XD shooters.
I was shooting low and left with my first XD, an XD9 service model.
It just took a few trips to the range to get the gun broke in,
And to accustomed to the XD trigger.........:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I did it too what i found out was that I was not gripping the gun deep enough check your grip.

·
Registered
364 Posts
they are correct. it is your grip. may also be pre- anticipation of the gun going "BANG!"

which ever makes you more comfy, fry fire or snap caps (you may dry fire till the cows come home with the XD) , set up a target in your home, garage, or where have you. take your stance and practice, practice, practice. slowly watch yourself and notice any quirks.

you may be proficient like others when handling a barreta, glock, s&w, or any other handgun...

go here and follow the FREE vids.. it may be a boring review but the guys are from XD and do teach a lot..

GunTalkTV - The #1 Online Resource for Gun Training

I had the same issues with my XD at first. I followed the vids, practiced at home with dry fire and snap caps..

now I keep them all grouped in the middle..

good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have a look at the sight positions on the slide. On my XD9SC, they were visibly to left of the center marks in the dovetail slot. It shot left for both right and left-handed shooters. No such problem with the XD9 service... all X-ring. The SC went back to Springfield last week for service. I tried to drift the thing myself for the 1mm it needed, but it wouldn't budge.

·
Premium Member
127,768 Posts
Too much finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You are squeezing your entire hand. The trigger pull should be an independent motion.

I did it too.
I never heard this one. I had, and still do have the same problem. Have somebody put some snap caps in your mag when you're shooting next, you'll see your muzzle dip when you shoot. Like everyone else said, using dry firing to practice your squeezing is a good idea.

·
Registered
364 Posts
it was mentioned before of "too much finger on the trigger".. that could be the problem as well. only the front pad of your finger should rest on the trigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who replied. As my golf pro use to say, "It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

I will practice the various dry fire techniques until I can get to the range again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts