Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably putting the cart before the horse here since ive alrwady shot 100 rounds of lead through my 5.25 9mm...what if any harm will this cause? i have read about leading the barrel but i havent seen anything out of the norm...just curious

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
been using a bristle brush with hoppes #9 bore cleaner...i have never shot lead bullets and have been told the rifling (sp) will dissappear when it becomes "leaded"

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
been using a bristle brush with hoppes #9 bore cleaner...i have never shot lead bullets and have been told the rifling (sp) will dissappear when it becomes "leaded"
No it won't, as long as you keep the bore clean.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I could see a guy having problems with leading if he's casting his own from discarded wheel weighs of questionable hardness. If you're using quality hard cast bullets, especially if they're coated, you're not going to have a problem.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Run a mag or so of FMJ jacket through when your done, this will clean out the lead in the barrel. Then give it a good cleaning when you get home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wasnt aware of any kind of problem with shooting lead ammo, but i clean after every shooting so it should be fine right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a regular XD but you are good to go shooting lead. Just clean the bore now and then.

If you are buying cast bullets however...I'd urge you to spend an extra $10/k and go with coated/plated bullets. If you cast your own that is a different story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been shooting cast bullets since day one with my XDm 5.25 9mm with no problem. I've been using wheel weight lead I cast in a Lee 356-125-RN and 358-125/RF molds, sized to .356, coated with epoxy paint and baked and resized. NO LUBE! No leading to speak of.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've shot lead loads in a XDM plenty of times, zero issues. If you shoot lead you're going to get some leading in the barrel that will require a bit more cleaning, if this bothers you spend a few cents more and go with plated bullets.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I could see a guy having problems with leading if he's casting his own from discarded wheel weighs of questionable hardness. If you're using quality hard cast bullets, especially if they're coated, you're not going to have a problem.
Been shooting my own cast lead rounds for years, My "questionable" WW lead is hard enough not to leave any leading. XDM and XD will take them just fine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just to dispel a common cast bullet myth: Harder lead is very rarely better at preventing lead fouling than softer bullets. Hard cast bevel-based commercial lead bullets with "crayon" lube will not "bump up" (obturate) to fit the bore tightly and form a gas seal, and the hard lube does not hold fouling and lead particles in suspension and allow them to be pushed out the barrel by successive shots. Obviously I am not advocating pure lead or 20:1 (lead:tin) for pistols, but wheelweight metal is plenty hard for all pistol cartridges short of full-house 357 Sig loads. Also, please note I am referencing standard pistol loads, not revolver loads.

I have fired nearly a thousand cast wheelweight bullets with "soft" lube through my XD40 with no more than a very light wash of lead on the lands (and that is with no bore cleaning), not nearly enough to affect accuracy or pressures. That's with a 175 grain bullet at about 1020 fps, so not exactly a pipsqueak load.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been shooting lead out of my 45's for awhile.. If your getting a heavy lead build up, that wont clean out with solvent and elbow grease, the 50-50 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will do the trick... It will remove all traces of lead... Plug one end of the barrel with a ear plug,and fill the barrel up with the 50-50 mix. As it bubbles, you will see the lead floating. The key it to do this in a timely fashion.. Start with 5 min. After 5 min, dump the fluid out of the barrel, run a brush through it, and rinse the barrel with hot soapy water.. Dry it off, and inspect the barrel for lead. If there is still some present. repeat the process. If the mixture does not bubble, then the lead is gone... I have been using this method for some time, and it is by far the best way to remove all traces of lead, in a short period of time... After all the lead is removed, and barrel has been rinsed, dried and inspected, it get a wipe down with oil... After a bit , the oil is cleaned off, adn gun is put back together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts