Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there shooting Lead cast bullets in thier XD? Mine has had some problems shooting lead bullets. Jacketed shoot fine its the lead that has caused a few FTF problems. the round hangs up part way into the chamber and i have to pull the slide back a bit and them it pops right in. i tried a shorter OAL but that did not help. any one out there that can help?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Mine feeds them fine although if they are hiting the ramp you may want to try to open your feed lips open a little rasing the angle the bullet hits the feed ramp.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you shooting? what kind of bullets and OAL

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
45 gap at what ever is max oal, and 9mm at what ever is max oal. The reloading stuff is down stairs too far to walk.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've shot over 500 round nose "Laser Cast" bullets through my XD40 SC with no problems. I'm now working up loads using home cast bullets out of a 6 cavity Lee mold and Power Pistol.

WyoBob

·
Registered
67 Posts
I shoot "Remanufactured UltraMax" 180 grain Conical Nose Lead" bullets through my XD-40's--1500 through one Tactical, about 1000 through the other Tactical and pushing 500 through my recently purchased (used) 4" Service, not one glitch of any kind. I shoot the remanufactured due to it's price--I like to shoot a lot. I'm happy with the grouping, offhand I can usually group a clip of 12 within a 3" area at 7 yards--good enough for defense in my book. Interesting is the fact that I shoot a tighter group with the 4" with factory sights than either Tactical, one of whisch has Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights. My prevoius pistol competition was with long distance silhouette shooting where longer barrels meant longer sight radius and thus more accuracy. Maybe the 20 year time frame and recent bifocal glasses fit into the equation.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I found a site that gives you the option for No Grease, Grease, Moly/Grease on their hard cast bullets. Which do you recomend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
kgpcr said:
Any one out there shooting Lead cast bullets in thier XD? Mine has had some problems shooting lead bullets. Jacketed shoot fine its the lead that has caused a few FTF problems. the round hangs up part way into the chamber and i have to pull the slide back a bit and them it pops right in. i tried a shorter OAL but that did not help. any one out there that can help?
I'm having the same problem in my XD40. FTF and then a little pull on the slide will usually pop it into place. Once, the round lodged in the barrel almost completely seated, but not quite and the firing pin actually fired with the slide unlocked...very suprising. I'm going to try some Oregon Trail laser-cast silver alloy. They seem to be harder, I'm hoping that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I just shot an Action Pistol match with my XD-9 using my handloads with Oregon Trail Laser casts. I loved them, there wasn't even a lot of fouling...:D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What profile bullet are you using? SWC, RN, FP?? SWC seemed to give me and other lots of problems. Others seem to make it work fine. Also, I thought shortening mine up would help feed better but still had problems, then I read someone here saying longer fed better. Once I lengthend out the OAL (can't remember the #) they fed fine. Try making them longer and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts