Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the same problem. my 9mm conversion barrel gives me no issues with the stock GR and spring. but with the 22# spring, it fails to eject almost every time. My guess was the spring is too tight for the load, i use (115gr).

I ordered a 17# spring to test the theory. I converted back to my 40 with WWB 185gr and it seemed to work fine. people might say that it's the conversion barrel but I don't think that's it. Otherwise you'd have the problem no matter what the spring, since the extractor engages at a closed position. At any rate, i'll save this thread and let you know as soon as i get the lighter spring.

·
Registered
762 Posts
swagge1 said:
Anyone else have trouble shooting 9mm rounds out of their XD40 using the 22# spring with rod from pistolgear.com? It seems to stovepipe some and the slide doesnt stay open for the last shot. Should I just use my original spring when using the 9mm conversion barrel?

Thanks,
scott
I just shot my new 17# spring and it worked flawlessly just like the stock spring. Here's what I tested and the results.

Preface:
I have a 40cal Service XD. It shoots flawlessly. I bought an efk 9mm conversion barrel and two 9mm mags. It too shot flawlessly (taking the extractor out of the equation). Then I bought DGR with a 22# spring and it FTE'd on my 9mm Conversion barrel every time. The new spring shot flawlessly on the 40.

My Theory:
The spring is too tight for 9mm to push the slide back far enough for the shell to clear.

Other Peoples Theory:
The conversion barrel is the problem.

Answer:
Bought a new 17# spring and put it on the 9mm and it worked flawlessly. No FTE.

Now when I shoot, I swap the barrel, spring, and mags. The 22# works great on my 40 with Don's Guide Rod. The 17# spring works perfectly on the efk 9mm conversion barrel. One should have serveral springs just to be safe.

·
Registered
762 Posts
manic mechanic said:
Where are you picking up the 17# spring at?
I orginally went to pistolgear to pickup an 18lbs spring but they were out of stock so i picked up a 17lbs at brownell's.

I'm thinking of dropping down to a 15lbs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
jeff221 said:
You are using 9mm mags, right?

I noticed a large difference in reliablity when I changed from loading 9mm rounds into my .40 to 9mm rounds into new 9mm factory mags... Even w/ a #22 spring it shoots 9mm flawlessly out of my XD40 Service.
i use 9mm factory mags with my 9mm conversion barrel as well. Although with the 22# spring, it still had issues extracting. with the new 17# springs, I haven't had any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts