Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have trouble shooting 9mm rounds out of their XD40 using the 22# spring with rod from pistolgear.com? It seems to stovepipe some and the slide doesnt stay open for the last shot. Should I just use my original spring when using the 9mm conversion barrel?

Thanks,
scott

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have the service or tactical model, and which brand conversion barrel are you using?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, I had ejection and stovepipe problems using the 22# Spring with the 9mm Conversion Barrel in my XD357. It stopped when I swapped the factory Guiderod/Spring back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 4" XD40 service model with the EFK Fire Dragon Conversion Barrel. I figured that the 9mm round didnt put forth enough energy to get the momentum needed for proper slide operation.

Thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have an XD40 with an EFK 9mm conversion barrel. I've only just got the DGR and 22# spring and ran about 100 rounds of WWB 9mm through with the 22# and it worked just fine. I will reply again later when I experiment more with it. BTW the 9mm with the 22# spring made recoil and muzzle flip almost non-existant. Hell even my fiance` (with small hands) loved shooting it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a XD9 and have been Pondering what spring to get when I get my rod. Would a stock xd9 be different than a conversion? Would you suggest the 20# instead?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It may not be the spring weight. My 9mm conversion barrel stovepiped constantly. The problem was found to be the 9mm casing being smaller than the .40 casing would slip from under the extractor too early.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a .357 Service with the Fire Dragon 9mm conversion, DGR, and both the 20 and 22# springs. I initially tried the 22# spring, but had some FTE problems with the 9mm barrel, I switched to the 20# spring, and have put 350 rounds through in 2 weeks without any problems at all.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the same problem. my 9mm conversion barrel gives me no issues with the stock GR and spring. but with the 22# spring, it fails to eject almost every time. My guess was the spring is too tight for the load, i use (115gr).

I ordered a 17# spring to test the theory. I converted back to my 40 with WWB 185gr and it seemed to work fine. people might say that it's the conversion barrel but I don't think that's it. Otherwise you'd have the problem no matter what the spring, since the extractor engages at a closed position. At any rate, i'll save this thread and let you know as soon as i get the lighter spring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Turn the slide upside down and slip a .357 casing behind the extractor. There is no side to side movement. Now try the same thing with a 9mm casing. The small amount of sideplay is enough to allow the extractor to slip out of the casing groove. Maybe mine was worse because I was going from a .40 to a 9mm. I did the same as you. Tried different spring weights, 115 gr reloads, 147 WWB factory loads, even put the factory spring back in. No problem when the .40 barrel was in. Took me a while to figure it out. Finally sold the barrel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
swagge1 said:
Anyone else have trouble shooting 9mm rounds out of their XD40 using the 22# spring with rod from pistolgear.com? It seems to stovepipe some and the slide doesnt stay open for the last shot. Should I just use my original spring when using the 9mm conversion barrel?

Thanks,
scott
I just shot my new 17# spring and it worked flawlessly just like the stock spring. Here's what I tested and the results.

Preface:
I have a 40cal Service XD. It shoots flawlessly. I bought an efk 9mm conversion barrel and two 9mm mags. It too shot flawlessly (taking the extractor out of the equation). Then I bought DGR with a 22# spring and it FTE'd on my 9mm Conversion barrel every time. The new spring shot flawlessly on the 40.

My Theory:
The spring is too tight for 9mm to push the slide back far enough for the shell to clear.

Other Peoples Theory:
The conversion barrel is the problem.

Answer:
Bought a new 17# spring and put it on the 9mm and it worked flawlessly. No FTE.

Now when I shoot, I swap the barrel, spring, and mags. The 22# works great on my 40 with Don's Guide Rod. The 17# spring works perfectly on the efk 9mm conversion barrel. One should have serveral springs just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Where are you picking up the 17# spring at?

·
Registered
762 Posts
manic mechanic said:
Where are you picking up the 17# spring at?
I orginally went to pistolgear to pickup an 18lbs spring but they were out of stock so i picked up a 17lbs at brownell's.

I'm thinking of dropping down to a 15lbs.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
thomye said:
I orginally went to pistolgear to pickup an 18lbs spring but they were out of stock so i picked up a 17lbs at brownell's.

I'm thinking of dropping down to a 15lbs.
You are using 9mm mags, right?

I noticed a large difference in reliablity when I changed from loading 9mm rounds into my .40 to 9mm rounds into new 9mm factory mags... Even w/ a #22 spring it shoots 9mm flawlessly out of my XD40 Service.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
jeff221 is correct on the mag issue. The 9mm mags seems to make a big difference. Our suggestion to folks is to run the conversion barrel with 9mm mags and the factory spring or Don's with a 18# spring. From there, you can start playing with other weights and mags.

The above seems to give the most reliable performance.

Scott

·
Registered
762 Posts
jeff221 said:
You are using 9mm mags, right?

I noticed a large difference in reliablity when I changed from loading 9mm rounds into my .40 to 9mm rounds into new 9mm factory mags... Even w/ a #22 spring it shoots 9mm flawlessly out of my XD40 Service.
i use 9mm factory mags with my 9mm conversion barrel as well. Although with the 22# spring, it still had issues extracting. with the new 17# springs, I haven't had any issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts