Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
This subject has been discussed in several threads over the past few years. I distinctly remember one thread, in which somebody called Springfield, and the woman at Springfield assigned to answering questions didn't even know what .45 Super was.

Do a "search" for .45 Super. I've fired some .45 Super and .450SMC through a Glock 21. I just don't see the attraction to dumping a little more powder into a .45ACP case. Unless you're hunting whitetails, I just can't imagine a practical application for .45 Super. In my humble opinion, .45 Super is a horrible s.d. round.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The thread posted above is a good one. It would suit many people very well to switch a spring and ammo or somethinglike that to make their SD gun into a better fit for black bears, cougars, etc. when hiking or fishing. It would be nice.
Mr. 510 has a very big cougar wandering through his back yard at times and that will make anybody feel like powering it up!
A good compromise that you can go with is Double Tap 230 grains that has more power than the regular stuff but really very little difference in perceived recoil. Too costly for range use but not excessive for SD in the soft-shooting XD. Very good "everything" ammo for an "everything" gun. :grin:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Cougars are pretty easy to kill. Lots of ranchers hunt them with .22 magnum rifles. JR, of Lonewolf Distributors, made a one-shot kill on a cougar with a G21 converted to .40 Super. He was shooting 135gr. factory loads and the bullet passed through a six-inch limb before striking the cougar.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
By the same token of not bringing a knife to a gunfight...if I want/need to kill a cougar...a pistol would NEVER be my first choice of weapons regardless of the caliber. In all due respect...the 45 Super is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

That said...to each their own!!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
If you want more stopping power in a .45, instead of shooting a round that the firearm wasn't designed to shoot, just pick a load that offers more power. I've chosen DoubleTap 230gr JHP. It's worked flawlessly through 200 rounds for me. Though there are some limitations to the .45 as far as energy is concerned, there are options that will yield more energy than your standard hydra-shok.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If I had a decent predator/nuisance in my back yard (Cougar, Bear, Boar, whatever), I'd be packin' a bit more heat than any 45ACP (or Super) can do.

I think I was in that thread, and some folks had fired Super in their XDs. The chamber seemed OK, but recoil against the frame was the bad deal. Remember, the first few XDs had locking block failures with ACP loads, right? If you pumped up the recoil spring on a new 5 inch XD, I, for one and likely only, think the new XD would survive it just fine. I'm not a gunsmith, designer, or person of knowledge of any kind, that's just my opinion. I would not recommend it, but I think the pistol could handle it.

S&W makes a short barrel 500 that would do the job on anything lurking in the bushes pretty much anywhere. If my home was in the middle of nowhere and critters like that were around, I'd find a way to carry one all day. To me, the 5 inch looks like the ticket.

BTW, I've read about killing Cougars and such with a 22. Yes, you can. But really, not in a life defending situation. A Cougar (Bear or Boar) is crouched down in the woods as you are walking with your 9 year old daughter, and you reach for a 22? PLEASE! Pick the right tool for the job folks.

I'd say a 44 Magnum with Garret Defenders would be the minimum I'd carry, if that were a viable threat for me or my family. But that's just me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts