Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I am getting ready to ship my gun back to S.A. They told me I needed to ship it FedEx or UPS Ground.

I just read on FedEx's site that they don't even ship handguns. They are on their prohibited items list. According to the UPS site, I can ship a handgun but only through one of their customer service centers and I have to verbally notify the employee that the package contains a handgun. Apparently handguns have to be segregated from the rest of the packages.

Those of you who have shipped your guns back to S.A.: Which method did you use? Did it cost more to ship the package because it contained a handgun?

Thanks,

MJK

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its not that they have to be segregated,they have to vissually inspect to make sure its not loaded. Same as if you were checking your bags at the airport and you have a firearm inside.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I called UPS customer service and was told that you have to go to a UPS center (not a UPS store, but the nearest place to you where the trucks go in and out), have it packaged and tell the person who takes care of you that it is a firearm goign back to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Odd about Fedex not shipping handguns. I just bought an XD9sc and a Ruger P95 from Davidson's (in AZ) through my local dealer's website (in GA). The bill said they were shipping to the local store via Fedex 1day.

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Please go here and read their Regualtions -

http://www.ups.com/search/quick?loc=en_us&query=firearms&sub.x=31&sub.y=9

I carry firearms to ship via UPS, let them package
them which assures that there is no ammo with the
firearm, then off it goes to an FFL or the factory.
There is a small savings if you ship it next day air for
afternoon delivery.

Sorry, but there is no 'ground shipping' via UPS, unless
it is in the same state.

No big deal, SA should reimburse you for out of
pocket expenses in shipping back to them.

Ed

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've used FedEx many times to ship handguns. You have to tell them that it's a handgun, and it has to be shipped at least next day air which makes it more expensive. Make the package as small as you can. It usually costs around $45 to ship here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fedex does ship handguns if they are going to an FFL or the manufacture but you have to take them to a Fedex office (No Dropboxes) and you have to tell them it is a handgun. I have shipped 2 handguns through Fedex in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I had my XD sent to me after I bought it, it was shipped via fedex from the other guy's FFL to mine for $25

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can ship USPS From FFL (holder) to FFL (holder) Only

FEDEX:
Firearms
FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: You agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.
Firearms must be shipped FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

UPS:
The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.
Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® service.
Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Counter clerk of any package containing a handgun

DHL/Airborne Express does not Take Firearms Period.

(Of Course you can not/should not ship a firearm with any ammunition, Period)

(Please correct me if I am wrong)

If its just the slide, then you can send it anyway with whomever you want.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When I shipped mine to Canyon Creek, I just put the factory case in one of their shipping boxes (at home), and then took it to one of the Kinko Fed-Ex stores and sent it second day+insurance, and it cost about $24, and they never asked what was in the box, and I didn't tell them.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
When I shipped mine to Canyon Creek, I just put the factory case in one of their shipping boxes (at home), and then took it to one of the Kinko Fed-Ex stores and sent it second day+insurance, and it cost about $24, and they never asked what was in the box, and I didn't tell them.
If they do not ask do not tell!

·
Registered
889 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
If they do not ask do not tell!
That's the way I looked at it, and it will be the same the next time I send one to Rich :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you don't tell them what's in the package and it gets lost or stolen, will the insurance cover it? I was informed by a FFL that it wouldn't. Just a thought.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i just set up an online acct with ups.....properly packaged my pistol, then printed the label and scheduled a pick up; then they took oit and SA worked on it and i got it back the same way in about 2wks

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I use UPS and never had a problem. My local counter lady at UPS is gunfriendly and a fellow shooter. She understands. He recommendation is to use Next Day Air Saver service as it costs about $15 only but does same thing. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
889 Posts
NMshooter said:
If you don't tell them what's in the package and it gets lost or stolen, will the insurance cover it? I was informed by a FFL that it wouldn't. Just a thought.
I don't know why it wouldn't, I was shipping it as the owner, and sending it to a gunsmith, and he is shipping it back to me, and as far as I know that's all perfectly legal.
The guy at the counter just asked how much I wanted to insured for, and when I told him $600, he never asked what it was.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have worked for a shipping/recieving departmnet for an Online store. Shipped only about 100 packages a day, however once a month we would get a lost package, and a couple of damaged packages.

Also If you don’t follow the "rules" put forth by the shipping carrier, don’t expect them to honor their Insurance/Warranty if your package gets lost or damage. Trust me, they dont want to shell out 500+ if they dont have to.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The point I was making is when I go to the US Postal service, and hand them a package they ask if there is ( list to long for me to rember ) in the package, they have a lot of rules down there, and at Fed-Ex they never asked, and just wanted to know I was paying. I'm not trying to pull a fast one, they just never asked.
And besides when the gunsmith tells you how to ship it, I just figure he knows what he's talking about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts