Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any restricitions on an individual shipping a quantity of ammo? As it seems like the best deal around for 9mm ammo is from Academy - and I have a brother in law who lives about 6 miles from one of their stores- can i have him purchase 5000 rnds and then call the UPS guy for shipping to my house in Michigan. Or, will I be violating some sort of law by doing this??? Saving $20/1000 rnds won't quite cover the legal fees if this is illegal. Thanks for your insights.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
By the time you pay for shipping and the hazardous material fee it's going to take a chunk out of that 20.00 per thousand savings. You would need to know the weight of the 5000 rounds to figure what shipping is going to be then add the hazard fee in to find out if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Figure 115gr * 50 = 5750gr, add packaging so roughly 1lb per box (7000gr = 1lb)

So we're talking 100lb worth of ammo, so roughly as long as shipping is less than $100 then you're alright.

Would help if you gave me the two zip codes you're shipping them between.

IIRC, ammunition doesn't ship hazmat so to speak, it just requires the ORM-D blue label which doesn't cost more. Power and primers alone though do require it.

Then again you still have to look at the savings vs buying 50rd boxes at $5.96 @ Walmart. You could almost pay $200 for freight before buying at Walmart vs. Academy...or in that manner, buy more ammo for the same amount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered 2k rnds from Midway about a month ago (Plus some extra goodies, of course) and paid about $23 for shipping - about $10/1k rnds. If the shipping costs remain relatively the same from Houston, TX to Saginaw, MI I thought I'd save about $50 on a 5k order. But you raise some good points.... Distance may increase the rate, weight may require 2 pkgs, etc. Possibly not as good a deal as I imagined. I wonder if there's a limit on how much ammo I could transport back with me on the plane if went to visit..... Just imagine that conversation with the ticket agent, baggage handler, and TSA officer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

Believe if you take ammo in your checked luggage on a plane, which you can when going hunting, you are restricted to only 10 pounds.
Check TSA's website.

Aloha!
KN

·
Registered
298 Posts
If your brother buys it at Academy for you he will have to pay sales tax on top of shipping. If you order through the internet and the place is out of state there is no sales tax. Assuming state tax is 6% and 5000 rounds = $500 thats another $60 you need to factor depending on the state tax.

Might want to try a mail order house that sells ammo to avoid the tax.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
If your brother buys it at Academy for you he will have to pay sales tax on top of shipping. If you order through the internet and the place is out of state there is no sales tax. Assuming state tax is 6% and 5000 rounds = $500 thats another $60 you need to factor depending on the state tax.

Might want to try a mail order house that sells ammo to avoid the tax.
How in the heck did you get $60 out of 6% of $500? Dude your math sucks :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
How in the heck did you get $60 out of 6% of $500? Dude your math sucks :lol:[/quote]

Ha! Your right, math wasn't my best subject...(try $30)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow I had this same thought about 3 weeks ago and looked this up.
buying 9mm from academy in tx (i have buddy that lives there) shipping ups ground to WV.

a mail order house like midway or natchez will get a better deal on shipping than you. I ordered 2k rounds shipped for about 18.00 those same rounds shipped from tx by my buddy $37.00.

You must remember the tax.
no hazmat fee- ORM-D... lable
shipping ORM-D- main box can not be over like 60lbs. or shipping 5krnds
would prob have to have 2 boxes thus making shipping more.

The plane- give it up. I think 11--50rnd box of 9mm is all you could get.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Academy sport in TX.
$3.86 per box of 50 getting 2k rounds=$154.40
Tx Tax = 8%=$166.752
Shipping=$37.50
total=$204.252 cost per bullet=$.1021.....
--------------------------------------------------------------
to sum it up it would cost me $2.00 more to ship the 2k of 9mm
from tx to wv...plus the buddies time. now the natchez is from tn to wv much shorter distance but i dont have a buddy in TN to buy from that academy sports.
The taxes and shipping eat up the savings.

So that is my $2.00 story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts