Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be shipping my XDs for some gunsmithing to an FFL out of state. Does the law require that I ship through and receive back at an FFL? I always thought it did, but with the XDs recall, I was able to ship directly (from myself) to SA via FedEx. I would prefer not to go through FFL because they all charge a fee around here. (Not sure if state laws matter, but I live in IL).

·
Registered
599 Posts
I will be shipping my XDs for some gunsmithing to an FFL out of state. Does the law require that I ship through and receive back at an FFL? I always thought it did, but with the XDs recall, I was able to ship directly (from myself) to SA via FedEx. I would prefer not to go through FFL because they all charge a fee around here. (Not sure if state laws matter, but I live in IL).
If you ship it to a FFL, you don't need a FFL to ship or receive the gun. Unless the other party requires a FFL.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
But if you ship a pistol it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to use a third party to ship.

If a customer sends us a pistol themselves it is less complicated but more expensive. They can ship the gun to our FFL address themselves but will have to use Fedex and UPS. You will have to inform the shipper that it is a pistol and will have to ship how they make you ship. Most likely this will be overnight. The last pistol cost 85.00 each direction each way for the customer and it was only a 40.00 job to put in and polish the PRP spring kit for the XDS.

If you find a local FFL (use Gunbroker FFL locator). You will have to get a copy of the FFL of who you are sending the gun to. Me for example I send an email copy for the customer to print out and give to his local FFL. Then take the gun to the FFL and most likely for a charge they will log the gun in and ship it for you. Dealer to Dealer can ship USPS and priority mail way cheaper. But even then USPS overnight is cheaper as well. And as an FFL in some areas you can ship Fedex/UPS 2 day instead of overnight (every local area is different follow local rules). Your gunsmith logs the gun in from your local FFL and after they are done will log it back out and ship back to your local FFL. Your local FFL can then log it back out to you.

Two different ways each can work especially if the third party is good. Some can charge a convince fee of 20.00 plus the shipping, which can be cheaper than sending it direct.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you ship it to a FFL, you don't need a FFL to ship or receive the gun. Unless the other party requires a FFL.
As I recall, if it is shipped for repair and they are FFL, then you can ship to them and I believe they can ship it back directly to your door?

At least that is what I recall. Repair is different than transfer.

But whenever I ship to a FFL it seems cheaper to go through mine even though he charges me about $28 PLUS shipping to send. Works out to about $50 one-way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Excellent! I will be shipping to an FFL, so that is exactly what I need to know. Thanks!
I don't understand the exchange.

My understanding is that a non-licensee can ship directly to a FFL through UPS, etc., but the carrier requires overnight, usually.
If non-licensee wants to ship via USPS, must go through a FFL on the sending end.

But with regard to receiving the gun back, I thought repair facility could just send back to non-licensee.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Was the recall-repaired XDs sent directly back to you?

·
Registered
599 Posts
As I recall, if it is shipped for repair and they are FFL, then you can ship to them and I believe they can ship it back directly to your door?
At least that is what I recall. Repair is different than transfer.
That's correct.

My understanding is that a non-licensee can ship directly to a FFL through UPS, etc., but the carrier requires overnight, But with regard to receiving the gun back, I thought repair facility could just send back to non-licensee.
Also correct.

Was the recall-repaired XDs sent directly back to you?
Yes, they will send it back to the customer, no FFL is needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts