Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who owns the Shield with the safety plan on trading it in for without?

I have no issues with the safety myself, so i'm not even gonna bother.

Just curious if anyone plans on it?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Nope. Doesn't get in my way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Same here - nope. Mine was one of the first shipped to stores, so I plan on keeping it. You just don't get rid of a pistol that works so well!

·
Banned
0 Posts
No, if it was out last month when I picked mine up I would have, but it's a non issue I just leave it off.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Mine's over 2 years old and has been flawless. No need to trade a perfectly good pistol for a newer model.
I'd take too big of a hit as a trade-in and I don't need a second one.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I like having the option. If i ever decide on the Shield as my EDC then i probably will get the non thumb safety version.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Nope! I've never had any issues with my ts model. Why change something if it isn’t broke?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Same here - nope. Mine was one of the first shipped to stores, so I plan on keeping it. You just don't get rid of a pistol that works so well!
same for me...have it since day one of release...never an issue...

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Never seen the video, but here's my tip for pistols that are carried daily by a sweaty betty: clean 'em and hit them with a rust preventative on a regular basis. I don't want to hear anyone from AZ complain about it being hot and them sweating - go somewhere where there's actual humidity! :lol:

That said, I sweat too, but I don't have these problems. Why? Well, some people are prone to causing rust issues with their sweat. These folks leave a fingerprint on a pistol and that turns to rust.

I don't baby my Shield and while its only a sample size of one I don't have these problems in a hot, humid environment like San Antonio. Of course, I also clean my pistol after every range trip, and I tend to go once a month or so. So yeah, showing me a carried pistol that is rusty tells me nothing about the person who is carrying it or how they maintain that pistol. *shrug*

Glocks rust, XD's rust, M&P's rust... Not a single gun out there is impervious to the issue.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In Cali you are required to have the safety.

No issues from my SHIELD

·
Banned
0 Posts
Thank God the OP doesn't live in that cesspool, huh?

:lol:
Or if he did he could go single shot exemption or family member transfer.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would want one without the safety because most of my handguns, and all of the ones I depend on for self defense, do not have external safeties. In the heat of things, I'd rather swipe a safety that isn't there than forget to swipe one that is. Training with the safety is, of course, the answer to that problem but moving back and forth between carry guns with and without thumb safeties can confuse you.

Anyone who owns the Shield with the safety plan on trading it in for without?

I have no issues with the safety myself, so i'm not even gonna bother.

Just curious if anyone plans on it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just got one, but it had something wrong with it. It was extremely hard to field strip and reassemble. It's on it's way back to S&W now. It's strange, my first few handguns were XD's and never had any issues except the occasional FTF with the XDs which is now resolved, then I purchased a PPQ also no issues, an LCP no issues. Since then I've had Glock 30s that had so many issues that Glock ended up sending a new gun (which I sold but worked fine) and now my Shield has issues, that's two guns in a row, damn.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If Smith had offered the no safety version 6 months ago, I would likely have bought it over the XDS. I hate manual safeties on striker fired guns, especially one sided safeties (I'm a lefty).

Now that the improved version is out, I find myself flirting with the Smith again. It feels really good in the hand and it's several oz's lighter. A coworker has offered to let let me wring his out if I buy the ammo. I am tempted.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I just got one, but it had something wrong with it. It was extremely hard to field strip and reassemble. It's on it's way back to S&W now. It's strange, my first few handguns were XD's and never had any issues except the occasional FTF with the XDs which is now resolved, then I purchased a PPQ also no issues, an LCP no issues. Since then I've had Glock 30s that had so many issues that Glock ended up sending a new gun (which I sold but worked fine) and now my Shield has issues, that's two guns in a row, damn.
So, how was it hard to field strip and reassemble? Any particular step or part giving you issues?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yes... Please elaborate on the Field Strip and reassembly difficulty.
Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So, how was it hard to field strip and reassemble? Any particular step or part giving you issues?
After locking the slide back, pulling down the take down, and either pulling the trigger or pushing down the little lever inside the mag well I could only move slide about half an inch forward. To get the slide off I had to use a lot of force, same when trying to reassemble the gun, it would go back until about the last half inch them I'd have to use a lot of force to get it all the way back. Once the slide was on the gun seemed to function normally, although I didn't shoot it. I tried field stripping it many times and it was always the same. I made sure the barrel and recoil spring were on correctly, but it still kept happening. It was like that since the first time I tried field stripping it to clean it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts