Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

My problem is worse than I have seen yet and I have read a huge number of threads here. I bought a 4" service .40 cal a couple of weeks ago......Its been in my closet (yes, locked up) ever since. I have several wwb and remington value packs sitting close by. I just don't have any time. I also don't have anywhere to go. I know of a range but I am really more fond of being outdoors and besides that I don't like paying someone else for simply borrowing their space (yes, cheap). Suggestions for someone who is both strapped for cash and space? :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
What city do you live in? For me, I'm living in Philadelphia, which is pretty much urbanized. My only option is to go to a local range. If I had it my way, I'd be living with a big yard where I can go shooting in but thats not always the case.

You might have to join the club and pay to shoot. At least once a month if you decided to get the gun for self defense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it isn't really for self defense I have always just really enjoyed shooting everyone elses guns and of course the neverending supply of free ammo. I am just finishing up my last two classes for my criminal justice degree and then moving back to more familiar territory where I could find a place and start shooting in about five minutes. However, until then I have to deal with being incredibly rural and still not having any idea where to go. The real problem is that i have had the gun for a couple weeks and it makes me sad to think that I haven't fed it anything yet.

and yes, it is all rural.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't see the problem here. If you're rural, just go shooting! Maybe ask your neighbor if you can use a hill on his land for a backstop...?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
You should be fairly close to state or federal land. Check with your conservation department or DNR.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually that does help. I have lived here for 6 years and it would appear that there has been a pistol club very nearby. I get what your saying about asking a neighbor or looking for gfp land but on the eastern side of the state there is very limited land and what is there is usually waterfoul production area..... turns out they frown on you throwing lead all over the place when water is concerned.
I do appreciate the link though.

Now any suggestions for either time warping or adding hours to my day?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jailer1J said:
actually that does help. I have lived here for 6 years and it would appear that there has been a pistol club very nearby.
Good. I noticed that many of them are open to the public. You may still have to pay a range fee. Joining a club might be something for you to consider. Not all NRA-affiliated clubs are expensive to join. I pay $25 a year for my local club dues. Maybe you'll get lucky like that too.

Now any suggestions for either time warping or adding hours to my day?
I guess this is your "severe problem." In the context of a pistol enthusiasts' forum, a severe problem is something like, "My XD blew up and now I'm missing most of my fingers and one of my eyes." Just something to keep in mind when choosing a title for you posts.

But time management is a problem. Best suggestion I can make is to set a date for yourself to go out and shoot, and keep that appointment when the time comes. Treat the appointment just like you would a trip to the dentist. Another thing you can do is to spend a week writing down all the things you do and how much time you spent doing it. After a week, look over the list and decide what you can live without and cut it out of your schedule.

-Wolf
[/quote]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry if my title was misleading. My problem is that I have had the gun for way too long without shooting it. That is just a crying shame.
I probably shouldn't be so impatient.

The one site that is very close is a private site but worth looking into anyways even though I will only be here until May.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jailer,

Since you are having a time problem, why don't you send the XD to me (retired) or any of the other guys on the forum and we will break it in for you...you know, get all the bugs out and make sure that it isn't to lonely sitting in the closet all by itself. I'm sure it would like to have an affair with other XDs on the forum,as well. :evil:

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm, well I don't think I would mind someone else breaking it in but I seem to remember it telling me once that it didn't believe in affairs and would be true to only me :lol:

If you want you could send me one of yours and I could introduce them to see if they would hit it off or not :?:

It does spend time with old faithful 870 in 12ga. so it at least hasn't tried to slip off to find companionship yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jailer,

As you can tell, mine are already paired but they wouldn't mind a"one night stand". (I think my SC slips out once in a while at night to see the "HMR" :oops: ). I have noticed the 40 admiring the SC's "heinie".

Good luck finding a place to shoot...You'll never want to put it down...just don't superglue it to your hand. :D

Rikoshey :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts