Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife bought an XD .40 subcompact November of last year. I'd been told by friends and read reviews about how great the XD is, which I never doubted due to Springfield's outstanding reputation (I'm a Glock fan myself :p ). However, almost every single time we've taken the XD out to shoot, there's been some sort of stoppage/malfunction. I've had a failure to feed, premature slide lock, failure to slide lock, and several instances of stovepiping. I understand there's reasonable explanations for each of these situations occurring separately, but there's been days where just one would happen, and there's been days where 3 of them happen, if not more.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about firearms having done my time as a military police officer, and I'm pretty adamant about doing my research before asking questions like this. This situation just completely boggles my mind. I've done firing on it as well and it's happened to me. I've also switched ammo to a few different types within the .40 family. I've made sure it was properly cleaned and lubed.

I called Springfield and they are having me send it in. I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks about this or maybe have had similar issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Never had ANY problems with mine. I'm assuming the gun is clean, and the ammo is "normal". not any trick stuff. If you have 300-400 rounds through it, it should be broken in. Springfield has a great warranty and good turnaround time, I'd send it back.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
ive never had any issues with mine. i know the failure to lock back or premature lock back of the slide are often due to thumbs resting on the outrageously comfortable thumb rest that is the slide release. however, if you dont think youre doing that or limp wristing, its better to send it back and see if theres something wrong on the gun's end.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I've never had a single issue with mine. Quality ammo, good lube. I would be interested in knowing what SA finds.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So, my wife bought an XD .40 subcompact November of last year. I'd been told by friends and read reviews about how great the XD is, which I never doubted due to Springfield's outstanding reputation (I'm a Glock fan myself :p ). However, almost every single time we've taken the XD out to shoot, there's been some sort of stoppage/malfunction. I've had a failure to feed, premature slide lock, failure to slide lock, and several instances of stovepiping. I understand there's reasonable explanations for each of these situations occurring separately, but there's been days where just one would happen, and there's been days where 3 of them happen, if not more.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about firearms having done my time as a military police officer, and I'm pretty adamant about doing my research before asking questions like this. This situation just completely boggles my mind. I've done firing on it as well and it's happened to me. I've also switched ammo to a few different types within the .40 family. I've made sure it was properly cleaned and lubed.

I called Springfield and they are having me send it in. I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks about this or maybe have had similar issues. Thanks!

Mine's been fine. Yes, let Springfield look it over.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like Jakemd98 mentioned, it could be a problem with an individual magazine, though XD mags are pretty rugged. I have a couple of these guns in 40cal and both have run with a variety of factory and handloaded ammo without problems. If there is something wrong with yours it is unusual. Since you are going to send it in, you might also send any questionable magazines also so Springfield can check out the gun with the included magazines. I think Springfield will resolve your problem, they are pretty good about such things.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you end up sending it in? If so, what did they say? Had the same issue with premature slide lock, and SA returned it(sort of), saying there was nothing wring with it. I say sort of, because it was stolen in transit. SA ended up sending me a new one, and it did the exact same thing.This was six years ago, so I'm just wondering if SA is addressing the problem yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
:shock:The necrothread is alive!!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Good call to SA. Let's see what they say.

Mine has digested a couple thousand rounds with not 1 hiccup.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Did you end up sending it in? If so, what did they say? Had the same issue with premature slide lock, and SA returned it(sort of), saying there was nothing wring with it. I say sort of, because it was stolen in transit. SA ended up sending me a new one, and it did the exact same thing.This was six years ago, so I'm just wondering if SA is addressing the problem yet.
strong hand thumb actuation...guaranteed

·
Registered
2 Posts
strong hand thumb actuation...guaranteed
Actually, no. They use the same slide lock lever in both the 9mm and .40 subcompacts. With the .40 being a slightly larger round, every left side round in the magazine has a chance to clip that lever on the way into the chamber, locking the slide open. A google search will show you I'm definitely not the only one with this problem

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The XD40sc is an excellent gun. I am the third owner of one, thousands and thousands of rounds, eating anything and everything I could find during the ammo shortages, and ZERO issues of any type. Same results with my XD40 service, also bought second hand, just like the EverReady bunny, just keeps going and going and going.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Actually, no. They use the same slide lock lever in both the 9mm and .40 subcompacts. With the .40 being a slightly larger round, every left side round in the magazine has a chance to clip that lever on the way into the chamber, locking the slide open. A google search will show you I'm definitely not the only one with this problem
Did I read that right? The position of the round inside the magazine can cause the slide to lock open?

Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a lot of fun here.

kypix

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Did I read that right? The position of the round inside the magazine can cause the slide to lock open?

Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a lot of fun here.

kypix
you did not misread it...and it is 100% Grade-A Bovine Feces...I flat-out do not believe it is possible and my dial caliper verifies it--this phenomenon is supposedly isolated to the .40 SC, yet the 9mm shares everything besides the breechface on the slide and the barrel, yet 9mm owners report notta:rolleyes: Does that strike anyone else as a fantastic coincidence? Add to that I have owned 2 Sub Comps in .40 and had 3 XD4" and not one of them had a single malfunction....not O N E...in upwards of 15,000 rounds...

Operator Error: One universal truth is, the operator never wants to admit they caused the Foxtrot Uniform...always the "platform's" fault[/I]

·
Registered
6 Posts
You saw the article, by now, of shaving .025 off of the lever of the .40, yes?
Premature Slide Lock with the XD-40 Causes Possible Cure

I think the shaving can be done with a Dremil without dissasembly. But I haven't tried it yet, having just discovered the attached article yesterday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you did not misread it...and it is 100% Grade-A Bovine Feces...I flat-out do not believe it is possible and my dial caliper verifies it--this phenomenon is supposedly isolated to the .40 SC, yet the 9mm shares everything besides the breechface on the slide and the barrel, yet 9mm owners report notta:rolleyes: Does that strike anyone else as a fantastic coincidence? Add to that I have owned 2 Sub Comps in .40 and had 3 XD4" and not one of them had a single malfunction....not O N E...in upwards of 15,000 rounds...

Operator Error: One universal truth is, the operator never wants to admit they caused the Foxtrot Uniform...always the "platform's" fault[/I]
Premature Slide Lock with the XD-40 Causes Possible Cure

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

When you said it happens to you too, then I put aside my thoughts about "limp wristing" which my own wife sometimes does. She alone, out of all my friends and I, is the only one who can make one of my XD type guns stovepipe a round. It's like... a miracle! For me all my XDs, and I have 7, will run flawlessly. So... I'm glad you are sending it in, along with the magazine that was in the gun at the time of course, for Springfield to take a look at.

P.S. The short Sub Compact models of ANY manufacturer are the most prone to "limp wristing" because the shorter spring applies its force over a shorter recoil length so is stiffer per inch of travel and needs a really firm hand to keep the gun steady during the recoil process. All short guns are "expert's guns" because of this and the shorter sight radius which make them a bit harder to shoot well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts