Springfield XD Forum banner

Setback rds and dented cases?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  migxdm 
#1 ·
Hey guys wondering what you are supposed to do with these rds? Can you still fire rds that are setback a little? What about dented cases, I have found a few 223 rds a 40 rd that have a rather large dent in them. Obviously you can throw these away, i don't reload yet... so what should I do to dispose of theses rounds?

#2 ·
IMO, If dented rounds will still chamber they can be fired.
Bullet setback would depend on how far they are set back. You will get varied opinions on how much setback is safe to still shoot. If you tend to get a lot of setback bullets, you need to rotate them out of your carry ammo quicker and on a regular basis. Deterime how much setback is too much for you cal of ammo and before you reach that point, target shoot the rounds.
This discussion is still open for other comments.

#3 ·
As far as dented rounds go, below is a picture of 4 rounds out of 125 rounds that a friend gave me, because he heard that your not suppose to shoot rounds that are dented because of the difference in "pressure" and such.
Well I took a 30 round magazine filled with them out shooting, and I took him along with me. He was shocked when I shot them and nothing happened. I asked if he wanted the rest back, and he said NO!

rayikeo2 hit the nail on the head as far as the setback goes.

As long as your rounds aren't dented any worse than these, you should be set to go.

By the way, these were some of the "bulk" rounds from ammoman.com, and I have no problem shooting them.

Stay Safe.

#4 ·
Pics would help. There are dents & there are dents. Setback, another story. Setback is a serious issue, especially in small volumn, higher pressure rounds like 9mm, 357sig & 40. A setback as little as 0.06" can increase pressure dramaticly. So if your rounds are shorter by 1/16", they should be pulled down or disposed of. I prefer pulling live rounds apart, but they can be taken to a local LEA for disposal or some gun ranges have bad ammo bins to toss it in.

#6 ·
Hornday 230 gr tap fpd cycled in new cmc mag twice. Only one of my 1911 mags that does this.

#7 ·
Yeah, that looks like about 1/16" (0.06"). Will it blow the gun up, probably not in 45acp. Will it push you into +P, yes. That much setback, like adding more powder, ups pressures enough to yield about 75fps vel incease IME. Most rotate their top rounds in the mag when loading & unloading their ccw ammo. A good practice to prevent excessive setback. You still need to pay attention though. When you START seeing setback, remove that round to a practice box BEFORE it reaches 1/16" shorter.

#8 ·
That round had only been chambered one time, I was trying out a new Chip magazine in my 1911. I do rotate my VCR ammo I usually will move the top bullet to the bottom of the magazine every week or so.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.