Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys I have a quick question, and was hoping someone could help me out. Im going to be getting a XD .40 here in a few weeks but dont know if i should get a standard 4 inch servce model .40 or the 5 inch tacticle model. My dad has the service model .40 and the sub compact .40, and I ive been really impressed with both of them, but i was wondering if the extra inch you get from the tacticle makes it hard to draw in a hurry? Because I would be carrying it while hunting as my side arm (to replace a .357 mag with a stubby barrel) and my other questions are how comfy are they when there on your side all day long? as far as sitting down and everything. and does the extra inch really make that big a differance in accuracy? any help if apreciated.

thanks,
Cody

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I don't think so. I knew 3 guys shooting IDPA with a tactical who went back to their service.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i like the balance in the service better, reason i bought the service.... its also my hunting hip buddy

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I absolutely love my .40 Service. Not only do I shoot it every chance I get, I also carry it daily. It is my main CCW firearm.

Like tackdriver stated, the main reason for the service purchase for me over the tactical model was the balance of the pistol. When loaded, the balance point seems to be directly under the trigger guard where your middle finger rests. With the tactical model it seems that it is just a bit farther forward. Makes it seem unstable in my hand. Not that it isn't shootable, just that the service is more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have shot both the service and the "tacticool" and for me the tactical was a little more accurate than my service, but I can still hit center mass no problems with the service (feels very balanced as everyone has mentioned). In a real world situation the slightly better accuracy of a tactical is not going to make that big of a difference IMO. I can conceal my service a lot easier than my buddy's tactical. I'm very happy with my service. If I were to take up competition shooting I'd go with the tactical.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
i like the balance in the service better, reason i bought the service.... its also my hunting hip buddy
I also got the Service because I felt like it was more balanced. If you can get your hands on 'em, I would just go with whatever feels better to you. The extra inch doesn't make it that much more inherently accurate.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Service model is the way to go... It's balanced better and it will be lighter to carry on a daily basis... I carry my .40 Service while hunting with no problems and as soon as DPS gets my CHL back to me it will be on my side everyday in my supertuck...

Hope this helps,

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts