Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my XD9 Service. Only problem is it's a bit large for CC and I'm thinking about the SC. Other than the fact that the barrel is an inch shorter, I'm assuming that the grip is shorter as well. How much so? Does the SC carry much better than the service that I should be thinking about another gun purchase?

·
Registered
127 Posts
well I have both the service and the sub compact versions and I carry the compact all the time and leave the service at home for home defense and for my roommate. The difference between the two is just the barrel length and the handle length, besides that, it's all the same. If you want to conceal a gun, you will want it to be as compact as possible. A subcompact will be more compact and will be better for cc, infact, I feel better about shooting my sc more than my service because it's the one I use most often so if I could only have one gun, it would be the SubCompact. If you have the money, I would get a compact or simular version of a springfield 1911, I think they run around 900 dollars, that may be a little more compact the a SC XD and cool looking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
a lot of people get an SC XD and then want to get an extended mag that has the collar on it so it'll make the handle the same size as the service and able to shoot 15 rds as opposed to the 10 rd mags and I think somtimes they either cc with the extended mag or at least try to and if they already have a service, then that's just a pointless thing to do since it'll be just like carrying the service around, I think the handle of the gun is more important the the barrel anyway, there are plently of IWB holsters to hide barrels. go to springfield.com and look at the micro and compact 1911s and compare to the SC compact. If you don't want to do that, a SC XD would be just fine too. It's what I prefered after looking through all the types of guns at my local gun store, the XDs fit the hand very nicely but I doubt that is a real big concern if you just want something to cc to save your life, you won't care about how it feels or looks if you have to use it, just that it shoots. That being said, you can get a nice reliable taurus revolver for less money, maybe like a 9 rd, 9mm too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chibigui,

you are right, it would be pointless to use the extended mag on the Sub and I definately do not plan to do so. If I want more than 10 rounds, I could simply get the .40 cal mags for my 9mm.

I guess my question is: Is the grip noticeibly shorter in the SC than the Service and I think you guys answered my question "Yes." Thank you! I think I'll be buying one now!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone give me a street price for the an all black XD9-Sub with Heinie Tritium Slant ProSights? And, are those sights, in your opinion, worth the extra $$?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought a black XD SC at my local gun dealer in Omaha, Nebraska for $480.00. That's just the regular sights though. I'm interested in night sights and have made up my mind to get TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Sights from pistol-gear.com when I get enough money saved up since I already have a lot of bills to pay and being that I'm a college student as well. This link will take you to the page where they are, I think getting these will be worth any extra effort taken by not getting your SC already equipped with a different kind of night sight. When I get these, I plan on just installing them myself, I hear it's not very hard to do and I'm pretty handy and love buying tools so it'll give me a reason to get a few small tools to add to my toolbox as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess it depends on how you carry. I CC my service XD 9 with no problem, and I am not a big guy... just average 6' 180 lbs. I carry in about a 4:30 postion IWB High Noon Holster with a slight forward cant. You could probably get used to carrying anything with a little practice. SC are fine, I just like the feel of the Service.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm 5'8 about 175 and I carry a Tactical 9 in a Milt Sparks VM-2 and you will have a very hard time telling I'm carrying. The type of holster you get is the most important factor in concealing a gun, especially a large one. I carry the Tactical because I have alot of confidence in my abilities with that gun.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Im 5'8" 175lbs and carry a XD40 service in a C-TAC at 4:30. My ole lady only knows when I'm carrying if she asks or bumps into it.

The SCs grip is to small for me to shoot comfortably and it would defeat the perpose of carrying an SC if I carryed it with an extended mag.

Go to your local shop and handle both the service and SC and see which feels better to you. It's better to have a gun that feels good to handle and a little more effort to hide than one that hides well but feels like crap in your hand.

I went through a lot of other sevice caliber handguns (glock, berretta, S&W, etc) to find one that felt good in my hand and that just happend to be an XD.

The holster, belt, and clothing are major factors in hiding your CCW than the size of the handgun. A quality holster that can be adjusted for cant is a bonus as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently gotten a XD9 service, and haven't gotten a holster yet. I liked the feel of the service over the SC too. I was thinking of trying a Remora holster, anybody tried one? It looks interesting. Also thinking of going with crossbreed ST.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Many add the finger extension to their XD9sc, but I still feel it is easier to conceal than a service model.

I sold my service after buying an sc.
But I ultimately ended up selling the sc as well.;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I bought a black XD SC at my local gun dealer in Omaha, Nebraska for $480.00. That's just the regular sights though. I'm interested in night sights and have made up my mind to get TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Sights from pistol-gear.com when I get enough money saved up since I already have a lot of bills to pay and being that I'm a college student as well. This link will take you to the page where they are, I think getting these will be worth any extra effort taken by not getting your SC already equipped with a different kind of night sight. When I get these, I plan on just installing them myself, I hear it's not very hard to do and I'm pretty handy and love buying tools so it'll give me a reason to get a few small tools to add to my toolbox as well.
LOL, that's funny right there.
Send it to James, he will do the install for free if you buy the sights from him. As an added bonus he actually knows what he's doing, unlike the folks who told you "it's not very hard".

chibigui,

you are right, it would be pointless to use the extended mag on the Sub and I definately do not plan to do so. If I want more than 10 rounds, I could simply get the .40 cal mags for my 9mm.

I guess my question is: Is the grip noticeibly shorter in the SC than the Service and I think you guys answered my question "Yes." Thank you! I think I'll be buying one now!

You carry with the short mag and keep the full size mag for a reload if needed.
BTW, if you ask around here you will find MANY SC owners are more accurate with the SC than the Service, as am I, don't know why.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I carry the XD9sc as a duty weapon as a detective. My qualification targets can't be disquinguished from a full-size's barrel.

I keep qualified with the 45c, 9sc, 40sc, and a XDM40c. Haven't seen the need for a full-size.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I love my XD-9 Service but also felt it was a little big to CC. One thing I didn't like about the Sub-Compact XD was that my pinky hung below the grip. My hand was too big for the standard Sub-Compact grip and magazine. Yes I could have put the extension on it and used a full size magazine but then that would start to defeat the purpose of the Sub-Compact. I got the Ruger for CC because the bottom of the magazine has like a reverse dovetail which allowed my pinky to stay on the weapon. It was just more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a XD 40 sub-compact and have the both the 9 and 12 round magazines. For the 9 round ones I have Pearce Grip extensions so my little finger has a place to grip too.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I have a XD 40 sub-compact and have the both the 9 and 12 round magazines. For the 9 round ones I have Pearce Grip extensions so my little finger has a place to grip too.
A friend of mine has an XD-40 Sub-Compact but didn't have the little pinky extension. When I was at the range with him I had a hard time getting a comfortable grip on the gun. He loves the gun and I'm sure I'd love it too if I could get a better grip on it!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Since I'm a MAN I don't have a problem shooting a 9mm with my pinky curled under the mag. I can shoot 9mm reasonably well with just my trigger finger and thumb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts