Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I'm new to the group and the XD. I was at a gun show looking for a service pistol specifically a glock 22, but it just didn't feel good in my hand, can't get a good sight picture, and doesn't have ambidextrous mag release.

I noticed a vendor talking up a storm about the XD so I tuned in and picked one up in my hand and fell in love. My next question is what caliber for a carry pistol?

I've been reading stopping power by Evan Marshall and Edwin Sanow and I've narrowed it to the 357sig or 40. I'm leaning toward the 357sig.

I shoot a lot and I know 40 can be found cheap. Whats this I have read about replacement/change out barrels. can I change out the barrels?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
.357sig, in my mind, has to be the superior round in reliability and energy.

With a .357 sig or .40 s&w, you can buy match-grade barrels in either .357, .40, or 9mm. Check Bar-Sto or EFK.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I think if I got another service model; I'd definately go with the .357 sig. I was looking at the ballistics on .357 sig it's amazing.

And like Overkill said, you can always get a Barsto or EFK barrel to shoot the marginally less expensive .40 s&w or even 9mm.

Krackels

·
Registered
388 Posts
While .357 Sig looks great on paper, there are apparently a number of real world problems with it. The article at the bottom of this link describes a number of them. Additionally, Steve's Pages also provides "terminal ballistic comparison" results for both .357 Sig and .40 S&W, which seem to indicate that the latter is a better performer.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Looks like an Armchair Commando website. :)

When people talk about something being a "solution looking for a problem", I typically look at them like I do the people who bitch about the .45GAP... Just whining because there's yet another round on the market.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've read test that say the GAP actually penetrated deeper than the ACP.

I tend to agree with the link though. I like the .40 much better than the .357 and its hella cheaper.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
stealthsniper said:
While .357 Sig looks great on paper, there are apparently a number of real world problems with it. The article at the bottom of this link describes a number of them. Additionally, Steve's Pages also provides "terminal ballistic comparison" results for both .357 Sig and .40 S&W, which seem to indicate that the latter is a better performer.
All I got to say about those sites....
. The .357 sig rounds have better one shot stop numbers overall than 9mm or 40 cal. BTW< that first site is 7 years old

.357 owns, and with georgia arms reloads, costs 24 cents per 100 rounds for 10x more fun shooting

·
Registered
388 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]When people talk about something being a "solution looking for a problem", I typically look at them like I do the people who bitch about the .45GAP... Just whining because there's yet another round on the market.
I feel the same way regarding those who bitch about .45 GAP, because that actually serves a purpose. The jury, mine at least, is still out on .357 Sig. That's why I went for .40 S&W.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
stealthsniper said:
[TASF said:
Overkill]When people talk about something being a "solution looking for a problem", I typically look at them like I do the people who bitch about the .45GAP... Just whining because there's yet another round on the market.
I feel the same way regarding those who bitch about .45 GAP, because that actually serves a purpose. The jury, mine at least, is still out on .357 Sig. That's why I went for .40 S&W.
The numerous police agencies switching to that round beg to differ :) And the XD357 owners who have yet to have a problem here beg to differ. XD357's seem to be more reliable than the 40's

Loud and Proud :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
i carry a 357 sig for a duty gun.
if shot placement is good , i don't think the bad guy will notice wheather if it is a 357 or a 40.
the shelby county sheriffs dept shot a BG 12 times in the c.o.m. with a 40 and the guy lived.... some people catch bullets better than others.
the only proven way to end a fight is to seperate the head from the body.
a Samauri sword works every time lol.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the .357 SIG is a good round, but it tends to be less available and pricey, so take that under consideration.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yeah ,the ammo availability issue and the fact that the 40SW has been out a while, tweaked and is here to stay ought to tell you something. The 40 SW had its problems in the beginning, but the bugs are worked out of it and it is a fine round.

Go with the 40SW XD.

The 357 Sig looks interesting, but ammo cost, avaialbility and its newness really tips the scales towards the 40SW to me. I have a Service Model 40SW Xd and have no doubt it will stop someone effectively.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
82 Posts
40 S&W! It'll Get'r done!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill].357sig, in my mind, has to be the superior round in reliability and energy.

With a .357 sig or .40 s&w, you can buy match-grade barrels in either .357, .40, or 9mm. Check Bar-Sto or EFK.
If I, with my XD9, wanted to upsize to a 40/.357, can I just bye the slide, barrel, spring and rod?
Or am I SOL?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spitfire said:
[TASF said:
Overkill].357sig, in my mind, has to be the superior round in reliability and energy.

If I, with my XD9, wanted to upsize to a 40/.357, can I just bye the slide, barrel, spring and rod?
Or am I SOL?
SOL...

you can go the other way, but not form 9mm up

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with dolanp. In all reality, I would say that any benefit the .357 sig would have over the .40 would be outweighed by it's price and rarity. The cheaper the ammo, the more you practice, the more you practice, the better the shot, the better the shot, the more lethal.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
When you put two in the chest and one between the eyes the BG isn’t going to know if you just capped him with a .357 SIG a .40 S&W or a 9mm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As a new xd owner who was fighting with this same question, I feel I should share my thoughts. I had cut it down to the same two rounds. The 40sw and 357sig.

The sig seemed to be the faster hitting round, but here in my area the ammo for the 357 sig was $18.00/50 range ammo, The 40sw ammo went for $10.00/50 range ammo. At this time the ammo for my area is almost twice the cost for the sig. Balistically the two rounds are so close, that it doesnt warrent the massive cost differance.

The price cost of the sig rounds is damn near the cost for a box of 45acp. If im going to spend that much, Im going with the 45!! :twisted:

In the end, I chose the 40sw for ccw. Good round, reasonable priced ammo. In a few years, when the prices drop a bit ill get a 357 sig.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts