Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up an XD40 next week and have fondled both the service and the tactical. I used to have an XD9 service model and loved how accurate it was. I am having trouble deciding between the two. I would like the increased accuracy of the tactical, but I may carry it (although rarely) and the shorter barrel would be easier to conceal.

So those of you who have both or have shot both, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
The barrel isnt the hard part to conceal. Its the pistol butt. In either case the butt will be the same size. Choose whichever your heart desires the most.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The barrel isnt the hard part to conceal. Its the pistol butt. In either case the butt will be the same size. Choose whichever your heart desires the most.
I understand that, but the shorter is probably a little more comfortable to conceal, especially for a skinny guy like me.:wink:

·
Registered
825 Posts
A shorter grip is less likely to print but a short grip combined with a short barrel makes for a very concealable gun. My SC is, dare I say it, comfortable.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pick up the tactical. You want regret it. I Love mine.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A shorter grip is less likely to print but a short grip combined with a short barrel makes for a very concealable gun. My SC is, dare I say it, comfortable.
Yeah I have a KT PF-9 that conceals great. I am selling my glock 23 and replacing it with this so I am wanting something larger than the PF-9.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I'd get the Tactical. I have the 9tac and it seems to have a much better balance. The .40SW being a hot round, you'll want that extra weight on the nose.

Get a subcompact for carry.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get the sub in time when funds allow.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If you want to conceal go service. And then buy the Tactical later for fun!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I have shot both and I personally carry the service model. It is perfect for my personal protection needs. Though they are both excellent models.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly it may come down to a coin flip and what is available when I go to get one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They're both great. I have the 4 and the 5 and sometimes on match day the hardest decision is which one to shoot that day. And even after better than two years of shooting both, I still think the 4" handles better. Get whichever you like the feel of better in your hands.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i havent shot a tac to give you a comparison but i own a 40 SVC and i think its perfect for both carry and expert shooting. Its not a rifle dont get me wrong, but i can shoot 2 in groups with it and its my first handgun. But you gotta see what works for you. What i would recommend is bringing in the style of holster you will carry with and wear what you normally do and out both in the holster and see what works...Just a thought?

Cadet Wilson

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Much obliged for everyone's take on the subject. I have held both and both feel really good. The tactical did feel a little front heavy and I when I brought it up to aim, I had to adjust the sites a little by raising the muzzle up just a smidge to get on my target. The service seemed to point exactly where I wanted when I brought it up. So, I guess there's my answer. Before I buy I will go over them both a little more thoroughly as I didn't have much time when I was looking last week.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have found 2 now that are used and great prices. So I am trying to figure out which one I'll get. I found one tonight that is a service model that has TFO's on it for $450.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts