Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied for my CCL today, and have not decided yet which XD to purchase. I shot a .9mm Service last week at the range, but have not had the opportunity to shoot a SC. I handled one Friday, a .40 with Pearce mag extension. The grip was too short for me without the mag extension, but felt fine with it. Another concern I have is whether the 4" Service can be carried concealed as effectively as the 3" SC.

My question, especially for you who own both a Service and a SC, if you could only have one, which would you choose and why?

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
I have a serrvice and a friend of mine has the SC. You already stated that the grip of the SC is to small so, when you add the extension you are now at the same width and height as the service, the only difference is 3/4 of an inch length. If you carry IWB that would be a no brainer. Like I said I own the service and that is why. I may buy a SC someday for the hell of it but not because it would be easier to carry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
for what it is worth, my experience has been it is the grip that is hard to conceal, not the barrel. It is no harder to conceal the service than the tactical, if you have to add to the length to get the grip big enough to hold onto, then .... I've also had problems w/Colt Officer size guns not being long enough to stay in when tucked inside the waist band w/o a holster. The XD service carries just fine, so does my Ruger 345.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was faced with the same question when deciding which one to buy for concealed carry. These are my thoughts: First of all, the extra 1 inch on the barrel isn't going to make it much harder to conceal really. It also adds a reasonable amount of accuracy, so I decided it was definitely worth the small trade off to make it a good target gun as well. Secondly, many people with SCs put these mag extensions or grip extensions on them. When you do that you essentially make the grip the same as that of a Service model. Therefore you might as well have the Service model. If the small grip of the SC weren't a concern though, then you might choose differently. I think it would bother me too much not to have my entire hand around it. Last of all the hicaps for the Service hold 15rds 9mm and 12rds .40.

Comes down to personal preference and comfort most of all I guess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Sub Compact and two of the Service Models. I usually carry the SC if I'm going to spend quite a bit of time driving because it's a little more comfortable. I carry one of the 4" at other times. If I had only one, it would be the Service Model since, as others have stated, it is as easily concealed as the SC.
If you do get the SC, be sure to get the Pearce extensions. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't carry so I can't comment on that, but as mentioned you can always add either Pierce grips or the new XD-Xtension sleeve to a service mag to get extra length if it suits you. Then you can try carrying as either a subcompact or service and choose whichever suits you best.

You can always add; removing is the difficult part.

FWIW 40SC mags also hold 13 rounds so you're almost at as many rounds as a service mag. My hands fit the SC just fine, and I may carry someday so that was my analysis in deciding SC or Service. I can live with the 1" barrel/sight difference.
-hype

·
Registered
68 Posts
I carry the SC and I like it. I have medium/small hands and the Pearce finger rest helped a bunch. Basically I chose it because I shot the service and the sub equally well when I tried them. I live in CA so capacity was a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I carry the XD 9mm SC as my backup and it works rather nice!
The Service Model is great too I have thought I should get me one or two of them in the 9mm and .40!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I decided on a Service model for the same reason that everyone else has stated: if you need grip extensions, you may as well buy the bigger gun. The SC was too small in my hands, and the added cost of three grip extensions (one for each mag) made buying the Service a no-brainer. Now I just need to buy a damn holster...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is there really only 3/4" difference between the Service grip and SC grip or is that the difference between Service and SC w/extensions.

I have a Service and Tactical. I carry a K40 or Glock 36 and was considering a XD45 Service for carry but when I compared my Kahr and Glock grip height to my XD Service it seemed alot bigger. I put my service in my waistband (no holster yet) and the grip looked pretty hard to conceal. I thought maybe I should just wait for the XD45 SC to come out.

Please if possible could someone take a measurement from top of slide to bottom of magazine (without extensions)? I know I will eventually buy a SC just to have one but the timing will depend on whether I choose it for carry or just fun.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is going to be very subjective to your hand size... body dimensions...etc. Try them both on and see which YOU like best.

·
Registered
182 Posts
mpholic said:
Please if possible could someone take a measurement from top of slide to bottom of magazine (without extensions)? I know I will eventually buy a SC just to have one but the timing will depend on whether I choose it for carry or just fun.
Thanks
Dimensions Rounded Up:
4.5" from the top of the slide to the bottom of mag baseplate

Not quite 6" in length

Definitely less than 1" in width

Enjoy
-hype

·
Registered
266 Posts
I own both the service and the sub and in my opinion I like the service WAY more. I'm like you and I don't like having my little finger hanging off of the bottom. Try both, but I think the service is the way to go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put Pierce extensions on my SC mags. I could shoot OK without them, but I like the extra control and I definitely shoot better with them. The extension is only on the front of the grip where the little finger grips. If you carry behind the hip, butt forward (FBI tilt), then the part of the butt that pokes out against your cover garment is the back corner, which is not extended. Sort of like an Ed Brown Bobtail.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well I just measured my Service grip height and it was 5 1/4 (making it 3/4 bigger.

My G36 grip height is 4 1/2 and my Kahr K40 height is 4 5/8 so they are all very similiar in size. The Glock slide seems to be the widest (just barely).

Well I think I will wait on the XD45 SC, buy it (can never have enough guns) and then do a side by side comparison.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I carry an SC, and I think it's main strong point is weight. Every little bit makes a huge difference when you carry all day long. The SC is insignificantly less accurate than the Service mechanically. Control wise, the Service is easier to shoot accurately. However, with proper and frequent practice, this becomes more of a non-issue.

So I'd just like to throw my vote in for the SC.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I carry both depending on my mood, what I'm wearing, what the weather is like (which determines what I wear), and where I am going. When I go to places like Afghanistan, Iran, or Bagdad, I carry my rocket launcher. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts