Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys out there own both? If so which one do you prefer? And do you notice any difference in accuracy? Thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have one XD40 Tactical, and two XD40 Service models, and a XD40 Sub-Compact. I shoot the Tactical for USPSA productoin division, and carry one Service Model, and the other stays home.
The only diffrence in accuracy has come more from the sights more then anything else.
In my opinion I didn't care for the factory sights so I put the Dawson Adjustable Fiber Opitics on the Tactical, and Dawson Adjustable night sights on the Service model I carry. I just think that the notch in the back sight is alittle to wide to get a good sight picture.
So now I don't see much diffrence in accuracy between the two of them that have the Dawson sights on them.
It depends on what you are going to do with it, if you are going to carry go with the Service (4"), or just target shoot-competition go with the Tactical (5").
I hope that helps some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at these pistols and am wondering which size .40 to get. Seems like the differences between the two are slim, and I want something lighter than a 1911. Is the Tactical about that weight or lighter? But I shot a Glock 23 which as far as I know is about the same size/weight to the Service model, and I like that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I own both, two XD-9 Service and one XD-9 Tactical. Funny thing, I find I shoot the service model better, shorter barrel and sight radius and all. I am think it is the recoil dynamics in the longer barrel version. It is up to you. Both are good guns, I just prefer the service.

BTW, RIID, I got another one from a used bin at my local shop for $400, came with three magaziens too. :) Debatign putting a fiber front on it and trying to make it a competition gun. It still seems to shoot high for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a .40 Tactical, two .40 Service and a .40 Subby, 3 of 4 with upgraded Dawson Adjustable or TFO night sights. At defensive distances, 7-10 yards, I do not notice any appreciable difference in accuracy. Theoretically the Tactical's longer barrel and sight radius, should provide an edge, however, within the confines of personal defense it would be negligible. They all should point where you aim them, and a dead or down bad guy will not appreciate the tighter group of the Tactical.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
One of each here :D All XD 40's
They all are great even the three inch sub groups better than I expected :shock:
I bought the Tactical for uspsa production 2# trigger job.The service for winter carry and the sub for summer carry both with 4# carry trigger all where done by Canyon-creek.
Home defense and comp the 5" little better but if you ever plan to carry 4" all the way the 5" to long and heavy 8) .If you could just get one I bought the service first and would agian :wink:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have both an XD-40 Service and an XD-40 Tactical. I love them both. The Tactical has a custom magazine-well added and is my USPSA Limited-10 Gun. The XD-40 Service will be my CCW when I get my permit. I find the Tactical with the longer sight radius and more weight out front lets me shoot it more accurately and the recoil is more easily manage than the Service. That said the service points better with the weight all over the hand it is very maneuverable and still shoot pretty good for me. If I shoot them over sandbags at the range they group the same for me both gun are very accurate for Tactical Tupperware.

My picture page for my XDs

Me in action with my XD-40 Tactical

mcb

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Accuracy is the same with both. I can't tell a difference at all.

Tactical has a bit more muzzle flip, but then again I am comparing to a ported service model. The service model stays on target with decreased muzzle flip.

My service model has a better trigger reset, but that can be worked on with the tactical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts