Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only one pistol, an XD40 Service which I love to shoot. I have just this week become an IDPA member so will be using my Service for that.

I also have recently received my Florida CCW permit, have invested in an M-Tac IWB holster and Beltman belt (I'll post a review of these sometime) but the XD still prints - mainly at the grip (with as much forward cant as I can put on the holster), but also my shirts tend to hand on the rear of the slide.

So, I'm considering a grip chop by Springer to reduce the grip printing. It's a relatively inexpensive job at $75. However, will I mess the gun up for IDPA? I don't have any direct experience of the stability of using full size mags with grip extensions in a compact. Is it as secure as a standard full size grip? Will I increase the probability of messing up reloads in IDPA? etc etc..

My other option is just to go for a smaller carry gun and leave the XD as-is.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My other option is just to go for a smaller carry gun and leave the XD as-is.

Thoughts?
Uhhhh....duh......

The more int he safe, the merrier! Go enjoy the freedom of this country and buy you a new toy!

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhhhh....duh......

The more int he safe, the merrier! Go enjoy the freedom of this country and buy you a new toy!
Yeah, but I can't stretch to a 'quality' gun like the XD - may only be able to go as far as a .38 Bersa or somehing like that.

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Yeah, but I can't stretch to a 'quality' gun like the XD - may only be able to go as far as a .38 Bersa or somehing like that.

Phil
Phil if your other option is a .38 bersa I would do the grip chop. Practicing (IDPA, Range) with what you carry will help build muscle memory if incase you might need to use it one day to protect yourself. Just stating the obvious. If you are thinking .380 what about a bulgarian mak "little more punch I believe", or the ruger lcp both are in the .380 bersa range I believe.

P.S. How are those ak's coming I just got another in with a frozen barrel pin. Dang thing may as well be welded in the trunion.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
If you are not in a position to get another, then do the chop. The extended magazines with the the grip sleeve will definitely be secure enough for IDPA. The SC grip length is much easier to conceal vs. the Service length. I have both, I know...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got both the XD9 SC and Service size. The shorter grip is certainly easier to conceal, so I'd vote for the chop-job.

The only negative is the potential to pinch your paw between the grip and the base plate or extension sleeve during a reload. While certainly possible, I haven't experience this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Chop it!

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm leaning towards doing the chop but would really like to hear from someone who has experience of tactical reloads using the full size mag with grip extension. The grip chop is a no-turning-back kinda thing!

I've got both the XD9 SC and Service size. The shorter grip is certainly easier to conceal, so I'd vote for the chop-job.

The only negative is the potential to pinch your paw between the grip and the base plate or extension sleeve during a reload. While certainly possible, I haven't experience this problem.
Having no experience of the compact mag grip extension, I am wondering if it moves on the mag or whether it is pretty solid. I have images of me trying to do a reload and fumbling with it.

Hijacking my own thread for a moment...
P.S. How are those ak's coming I just got another in with a frozen barrel pin. Dang thing may as well be welded in the trunion.
Got the gun into a 30 ton press and it snapped two push pins!! That sucker is not coming out. Going to have to drill it I think. Does that affect the headspacing? PM me Bill and we'll discuss it off-forum.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking it'll make reloads a bit harder. I have the 40SC and it's harder to reload using either 9 or 12 rd mags than my service 40 is.
That was my gut instinct. Thanks for the confirmation.

Am going to try out a Bersa 9mm or Kahr CW9 at the gunshow here next weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Might I also suggest you take a look at the Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm or the Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm. The MilPro has a 3.25" barrel length, and you can pick one up at Academy Sports for $299. The Taurus is also available in .40 cal. They are nice shooting guns...not as good as the XD, but still very reliable and capable, and very easy to conceal.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Too bad we can't buy frames for the guns ya kno.... I personally wouldn't do it. Id reccomend a nice little "2 barrel revolver. You can get a taurus for around 300 bucks I think, its better than a bersa. But really if your gonna get a revolver a S&W would be my choice, stretch the budget a bit when it comes to guns, I'm sure some people like bersa's and I think there cool little guns but I wouldn't trust my life to one..... if you can afford to pay cash for a 300 dollar gun look for a used xd sc, i picked up my xd for 379, they had a sub compact there also for about the same price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive been thinking this over as well pretty hard decision. i might end up going to a glock 36 unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I carry XD45 service when possible and a Kahr CW9 when the XD is not possible. It is a very nice carry gun and very acurate. I carry Federal Personal Defense rounds and they feed through the gun nicely. I would keep your XD as is and go with the Kahr. Extra magazines are a bit pricey but I picked mine up at CheaperthanDirt.com. I've put over 500 rounds through my Kahr and 0 problems even in the initial 200 round breakin period.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OK you have set the Mtac to full forward but I'll add this. Move it up as well. The higher you get the gun the more it will tend to blend into the rib cage area of the body. That torso triangle is your friend. Most people think lower is better. Not true. Any bulge at the actual waistline accentuates there. The higher the better. Just try it. It'll only take minute to change.

I carry a service 45 in the winter no problem with a higher ride in the Mtac. Fully forward and fully up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When you chop it , you can also throw SA's service warranty phone# away also .

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts