Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spending $25-$30 for a magazine in the first place, why in the fecking hell should I have to spend another DIME to make sure I have reliable magazines?

I'm furious right now because I finally had a chance to run several rounds through my XD45c for the first time and had several FTFeed issues with 3 different magazines. I have several tests I need to do this weekend to try to determine the cause, but if it's the magazine springs we will be parting ways.

This is crap. A bunch of nonsense. If Springfield can't build a reliable magazine for the .45 ACP then I'm selling mine and moving on. Are you guys really OK with the fact that replacing the OEM mag springs is the only solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place? From the looks of how many threads I found where people are leaping for joy that they have something they can spend another $8 per mag on, it sure seems that way.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
People that have problems with Mag springs replace them with AGP springs. For the compact mags they cut it down a few wires.

Oh yeah and make sure you not limp wristing. A common problem.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
XD45 compact and never had a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People that have problems with Mag springs replace them with AGP springs. For the compact mags they cut it down a few wires.
Yeah. I get it. My point is why are people perfectly OK with paying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist? I understand buying upgrades to make enhancements, but to FIX something?

Oh yeah and make sure you not limp wristing. A common problem.
Please...

·
Registered
250 Posts
It may not be "user error" but it's probably not bad mags. Both mine 10 and 13 rounds work fine as do most peoples mags. The chance against you getting three bad mags out of three would be a long shot. Can't say what's wrong but likely something else. If it's a new gun pumping the action two or three hundred times to work things in is a cheap substitute for shooting that many rounds and may help. Ifnot, try carefully looking for a roug or sharp edge around the feeding ramp...maybe a tiny metal chip lodged in somewhere. :confused:
Call SA and tell them. They are known for good customer service.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looks like you've had and have several XD's!!! Have you had any probs with the other XD's that you have had??? If not, don't you think it would have something to do with that particular gun??? You can't mass produce something and not have a lemon here and there. From what I can tell SA's done a fine job of not producing many lemons. I agree with KITSAPCHARLY, call SA and see what they can do for you and explain your problem. They deal with the gun every day and the problems that people are having. While your rant is understandable getting mad at the people here for trying to help is well.....silly. I hope you get your issues ironed out really, and like I and KITSAPCHARLY said call SA!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
What were you feeding them? The only rounds I had trouble with were Federal HST (which have a really wide mouth on the hollow point). Everything else fed fine.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I've got three XDs and at least 18 XD mags, never had a problem with them.
Maybe the new mags have problems or maybe... just maybe... people love to customize their guns like they do their cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quit reloading...if that's not it...call SA. I understand they are great at customer service and they will take care of you...calm down...these things can happen.:)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Yeah. I get it. My point is why are people perfectly OK with paying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist? I understand buying upgrades to make enhancements, but to FIX something?

Please...
Hey you never know. Just going off of experience. I have 15 mags and not one problem with any of them. And I use them at least 2x a month. I shoot USPSA so I would know if there were problems. I don't jsut store them.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
First, calm down. The problems you are experiencing are the exception...not the rule with SA mags. Most people don't have so much as a hiccup with factory mags with factory springs. I have owned and still own several XD's and I have never had an issue with a factory magazine.

Second, what ammo were you using when you experienced all these FTFeed issues? If they were SWC loads or Federal HST loads, those are well-known "problem-children" when it comes to XD pistols and just won't feed or function reliably in most XD's.

Third, without having done the "tests" that you referred to, why in the world would you just assume that the culprit here MUST be bad mags? Have you had mag problems with any of your numerous other XD's? Is there something that leads you to believe the problems are mag-related?

Finally, can you describe specifically what kind of FTFeed errors you were having? What was getting "hung up?" Were these failures to chamber a round altogether or failure of the round to fully chamber without it getting jammed going into the chamber?

All of this info will help us determine if a weak mag spring or "bad mag" are causing or otherwise contributing to your problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's happening with all three mags...maybe it's..."user error".

Don't insult me.

I think a quick glance at my signature would indicate this isn't the first handgun I've owned, let alone my first XD. Let's assume I know how to fire a handgun. It's not user error.

Ed

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Dude...you have got to calm down. You are going to have an aneurism before we can figure out what is wrong with your FTFeed problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quit reloading...if that's not it...call SA. I understand they are great at customer service and they will take care of you...calm down...these things can happen.:)
It may not be the mags. In search the forum for possible causes I ran across a LOT of threads where mags springs were the issue and it just astounds me how accepting everyone is of replacing their mag springs. As you can see, this isn't my first XD and I haven't had any problems like this before, including in my other XD45. The problem is, the mags I used all came with the XD45c -- so it could be the mag springs.

Like I said -- I have some additional testing to do to narrow it down, but in searching for answers it just blows me away that no one has made an issue with the necessity of replacing mags springs in order to get them to function properly. I'm not mad at anyone. I just don't understand the rationale. I am pissed that I'm having FTFeed issues, but that will get resolved one way or the other.

Ed

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ed,

Who's to say that who ever you bought it from didn't do something to the mags. You say it's "new to You".
Like several others have mentioned, What type and brand of ammo were you using? This could be a simple fix.
I personaly have 6 mags for my service model, and never a problem one.
Again, take a look around, maybe a bur or sharp piece of metal on the feedramp, barrel, or each of the mags...."new to you" just take a look-see around. From what I've read here, NO ONE is disrespecting you, they are only making suggestions to try and HELP you.
Take a sip of coffee, and take the pistol apart... look around, maybe something simple, maybe not. But don't take your frustrations out on everyone else. I understand it can be very frustrating when things happen to "us", but we are all here to help.

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
At this point...I think it could be almost anything. 1) Bad mag/springs?; 2) Bad/weak recoil spring?; 3) Feedramp issues (numerous different options)?; 4) Ammo issues?

If it turns out to be a problem caused in part, or created by the factory, SA will take care of it as they do with all issues that effect the function/relaibility of their products and the satisfaction of their customers.

Let us know what you find out from your additional efforts/testing on the pistol.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
XD45c, 5 mags, many many rounds, never an issue. Also added Pearce extensions to 2 mags, sorry to hear about the issues.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.