Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....I need some help with this one....I carry Federal Hydra Shoks in my XD40...I was unloading it just now and I released the mag...and took the round out of the chamber....as I was going to put the chambered round back into the mag...I noticed that the bullet itself was jamed about 3/4 of the was back into the casing....I checked my barrel and there a no signs of the bullet impacting anything while being chambered. Anyone have a clue as to how this happened? And what if anything I can do about this??

Thanks,
Semper Fi,
Cowboy

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Bullet setback. It can cause severe over pressure in your gun and possible case rupture or worse. They say it is caused by chambering a round several times.

Here is a link to some info.
http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

·
Registered
580 Posts
my XD did the same thing with my hydrashoks. the above is useful information. i was told to simply rotate the constantly chambered bullet with others in the mag.

good thing you noticed it...i've heard horror stories about this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help ya'll....I will start to rotate my rounds throughout the mag. Thanks Again!

Semper Fi,
Cowboy

·
Registered
308 Posts
If the bullet is setback so much you can see the difference you should not fire this round! To do so could invite disaster. Dispose of the setback rounds in a safe manner and buy some new ammo. Better safe than sorry.

Constant rechambering of a single cartridge is the biggest cause of bullet setback.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
MoJo said:
If the bullet is setback so much you can see the difference you should not fire this round! To do so could invite disaster. Dispose of the setback rounds in a safe manner and buy some new ammo. Better safe than sorry.

Constant rechambering of a single cartridge is the biggest cause of bullet setback.
A big time ditto! :shock: Rotate it into the trash.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
USMC_Cowboy said:
thanks for the help ya'll....I will start to rotate my rounds throughout the mag. Thanks Again!

Semper Fi,
Cowboy
you gotta rotate, or like I do.... Shoot of a mag of defensive ammo every range trip :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just want to say thanks to all for this info, I carry Federals also ( 40 and 9mm) but never thought about this problem...Time to change behaviors again...
:oops:

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have only noticed setback in Hydra-shoks. I stopped using them and went with Slvertips by Wnchester. I am thinking of changing to Wnchester SXT next.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just want to say thanks to all for this info, I carry Federals also ( 40 and 9mm) but never thought about this problem...Time to change behaviors again...
ditto, thanks guys! I'd never even heard of such a thing. I'll have to do a closer inspection next time I pull out my mag.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's odd you should bring this up. When shooting Monday my friend was loading up some .45 Remington hollowpoints when he noticed that one of the rounds was setback. This is the first time I had ever seen that before. It had not been chambered; it was fresh out of the box. I rotate my hydroshocks in my 9 and haven't had a problem. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out from now on. Thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
dispose of the round in a safe manner...
what IS a safe manner to dispose of rounds? i have various bullets for guns i don't own anymore. i was thinking about dropping them in the dump...but was told NO. they are old, .357sig and higher, and number around 250.

any help?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Throw them in your in-sink food grinder.

Or burn them. On the inside of a fuel processing plant.

·
Registered
415 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]Throw them in your in-sink food grinder.

Or burn them. On the inside of a fuel processing plant.
Your killing me man. Can't stop laughing long enough to breath.

I would just throw them out into deep water somewhere.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I actually have this dilemma with .22 ammo all the time... I try to tear the bullet out and just dump the powder out and burn it. But... I don't know technically what you should be doing with unfired ammo...

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I eat all my bad rounds so I won't pollute the waters that surround me. Or I throw them in the garbage and let them die a lonely life in the dump. It's just plain hell leading the life of a lonely unwanted bullet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts