Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you separate your pistol brass by manufacturers head stamp or just mix all together by caliber?? I load 45 and 9mm for target shooting and separate them all. starting to get annoying!! LOL

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I did in the beginning. It was very tedious but I could load all of the same head stamp and have consistent final cartridge weights. But it got to be to tedious and I shot to much to keep up with it. Now I just check a charge weight every so often and if it's consistent with how much I want to drop I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Nope, I just separate by caliber.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Precise defensive loads, yes. Plinking rounds, no.

ETA:

I would also be trimming, chambering and deburring, and cleaning primer pockets for consistency in defensive loads.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I sort by caliber and pluck 1 sample case per headstamp/manufacturer and do a case volume check using water--I have a conversion chart taped to my bench I made-up using online sources and Excel...if they are consistent or darn close, I mix em up into 200 round lots and load...if one maker (SPEER brass in .40 comes to mind) is quite a bit different, I pull them from the lots and load them all together...

in 9mm or .45 you should be ok to just mix em up and run loads; I just like the security and consistency of the additional step because of the .40s pressure levels...

Excellent Question OP

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I sort head stamps. Takes maybe 30 minutes to go thru a 1000 or so, I take 6 or 7 buckets and throw diff stamps into their own piles. I don't think it is completely necessary but I can keep track of the lots of brass easier and It is just one more component/variable that is closer to being the same in the equation to get the same result each time.

I used to measure all the pistol brass, none ever differed enough to make a difference.

I've never trimmed a pistol case , ever. if they are too long they should have probably split by that point. I wouldn't concern myself with length of the brass so much, not in pistol brass anyway, much more critical in rifle cartridges.

9 mm has same SAAMI operating pressure as .40 , or dang close. if you sort for 40 bc of operating pressure you may consider doing it for the 9 also????

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I sort by caliber and pluck 1 sample case per headstamp/manufacturer and do a case volume check using water--I have a conversion chart taped to my bench I made-up using online sources and Excel...if they are consistent or darn close, I mix em up into 200 round lots and load...if one maker (SPEER brass in .40 comes to mind) is quite a bit different, I pull them from the lots and load them all together...

in 9mm or .45 you should be ok to just mix em up and run loads; I just like the security and consistency of the additional step because of the .40s pressure levels...

Excellent Question OP
Are the Speer cases made with smaller case capacity or something?? I have a ton of those.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
9 mm has same SAAMI operating pressure as .40 , or dang close. if you sort for 40 bc of operating pressure you may consider doing it for the 9 also????
I no longer load 9mm...so I hadn't looked at specs in awhile...

Are the Speer cases made with smaller case capacity or something?? I have a ton of those.
they seem to be a tad smaller volume-wise...I believe it has something to do with the thicker web at the base...not a gigantic difference but its enough to make loads chrono wonky...so I add a tiny bit less charge to them, seat the OAL .001 shallower and they run fine...

I too have gobs of these--I routinely scrounge a PD Range near my folks' place ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Precise defensive loads, yes. Plinking rounds, no.

ETA:

I would also be trimming, chambering and deburring, and cleaning primer pockets for consistency in defensive loads.
^Exactly this.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I only use reloads for targets and practice. If you use your own reloads in a defensive situation you will get put in prison.

Sorry. I couldn't stop myself.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I only use reloads for targets and practice. If you use your own reloads in a defensive situation you will get put in prison.

Sorry. I couldn't stop myself.
I'm sure you actually could have...

A good shoot is a good shoot. I'd rather have ammo I know that works and live than just trust that something and not see my family again. Yes, to me this means eventually testing with both chrono and ballistics gel. I can't do it right now but I'd like to in the future.

Perhaps I was also just answering the OP's question, unlike you.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
You need to lighten up Francis. It was a joke. Take a deep cleansing breath.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I sorted by brand for first few thousand. That got old so I stopped. For new load work ups I do pull out all the same to remove a variable from chronograph results.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I used, many years ago. Then I ended up with quite a bit of brass, most of it unsorted, and I stopped keeping it sorted by box/brand.

Then awhile back I bought a pretty good sized box of .40 S&W brass and sorted it by brand as some of it was NT brass with reported primer crimps that had to be removed before reloading.

After reloading some of the sorted by headstamp brass my P07 shot some very respectable groups. I need to do some experimenting to see if the gun, with the same powder/bullet combination will shoot similar groups with a batch of mixed brass headstamped brass.

I may end up having to sort my other pistol brass (over time).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Those at my range that are the best competition shooters, for accuracy, don't separate so I don't either.

Iv'e tested on a chrono 10 cases by each manu and saw the same SD so didn't see any better 'consistency' separating them out.

I don't shoot enough rifle to have tested it or load cases to the max though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts