Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had this thought the other day about realoading mix brass. I've been realoding 9MM for a few months and getting ready to reload 45 ACP along with 380 auto. Does seperate by headstamp make any difference when it comes to accuracy? For example, if I were to shoot only Federal brass vs having 19 rounds in a magazine that include, Federal, Winchester, Speer, Remington. Would I get more accuracy with just sticking to just one brand? I know this might be a dumb question since I haven't noticed any diffence. Would it be a waste of time and money for someone to select just one brand and realoding? I understand that certain brass such as 45 ACP someone would seperate brass that has has small vs large primer, or 9MM you are picking out the crimped primer brass. Those type I can see sperating. My type of shooting would be trying to improve hitting paper target from 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you are a bullseye shooter then sorting brass will give you an extra thousandth in accuracy/consistence you may need to win...but for general tactical or target shooting, it will make no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I have mixed opinions (ha, a pun there)

when got into reloading, started with 9mm using FMJ. Never bothered to separate brass by headstamp, never seemed to be an issue.

when I added 44Mag and a bit latter added 41Mag, all my brass was same brand for each so that was easy

this year, after getting my Ruger SR1911, I did not bother separating by headstamps when started with FMJs. But not long until decided to use lead SWCs to save some more $, and for that nice big smooth hole in paper. Had some crimp issues, thought it might be variance between headstamps, so started to separate the 45s. No more crimp issues.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It always depends on your accuracy requirements. The more uniform everything is, the more accurate the ammo will be. Can you & your gun shoot 2" @ 50yds? If so, then you'll be able to detect the accuracy diff. If the best you can do is 4" @ 10yds, then nope, not gonna matter.

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
I don't separate it anymore. Just practicing 7 - 10 yards at the range and all impacts are lethal.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I read an article with stats that showed more accuracy with sorted head stamps. Sometimes if I have a lot of time I will sort out the Winchester brass, they seem to hold more consistent OAL measurements. Normally they are mixed up and more accurate than myself. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just loaded up a 1000 rounds of .40 S&W last night (of about 8 different brands of brass) and shot 250 of them today. Didn't see any difference: 5.2 grains W231, Win primers, x-treme 165 gr RNFP plated bullets. However, I'm not a target shooter. If they go in the maim or kill zone I'm happy. ;-)

Sent from my XDM

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think sorting is more critical if you are reloading rifle brass, or if you are doing long range pistol shooting. Under 30 yards you probably won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are a bullseye shooter then sorting brass will give you an extra thousandth in accuracy/consistence you may need to win...but for general tactical or target shooting, it will make no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've noticed differences in OAL in my 9mm rounds S&B loads 1.096, federal loads 1.098, winchester loads 1.100 give or take a little but for the most part S&B are my short rounds and Win is my long rounds. 3.5gr unique, CCI primers, Missouri 147gr FP.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
not sure how casing length can affect OAL when we press from bottom of headstamp against bullet up into die. Yes, case length can affect crimp because the top of case will be higher or lower.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I dont understand it either, and i'm honestly making my observation off a small number of random measured ammo from loads of 100. i guess if i kept detailed records about case lenth i would see more of a pattern than just what i kind of see as a trend. meaning i should increase my number of tested samples to get more info before making the claim i did above.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For me sorting by headstamp helps with the priming. Military brass primer pockets have a crimp in it so I get those out first. As far as accuracy I shoot close enough to not notice a difference.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
not sure how casing length can affect OAL when we press from bottom of headstamp against bullet up into die. Yes, case length can affect crimp because the top of case will be higher or lower.
Case length has nothing to do with OAL. The mixed brass is the cause of that. They vary in thickness & ductility, that accounts for the variation in OAL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts